• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Programming ideas/projects

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I thought it would be useful to start a list of useful projects which everyone can use as practice to:

1. improve their programming,
2. add to their "portfolio",
3. put on their website,
4. present to future employers

etc.

I have some ideas and suggestions but I though I would see what everyone thought first..

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE jQuery Eclipse IDE Postgres Database Tomcat Server Chrome Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"prog computeach", please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.

Ranch Hand
jQuery Netbeans IDE Notepad
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Rog Rammer

I think this is going to be really ausum.
One would be able to learn more with such projects.

Cheers for such initiative.

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some of these ideas wil be very "general" but its just to get everyone thinking and discussing!

1. Games (e.g. Chess / Noughts and crosses/ 3-dimensional noughts and crosses :-) )
2. Cricket scorecard(You enter the score for each ball and who is bowling it etc..). The program stores all the details

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rog Rammer wrote:Some of these ideas wil be very "general" but its just to get everyone thinking and discussing!

1. Games (e.g. Chess / Noughts and crosses/ 3-dimensional noughts and crosses :-) )
2. Cricket scorecard(You enter the score for each ball and who is bowling it etc..). The program stores all the details

Or how about:

3. A loan/mortgage calculator(calculates repayments over a period of time)
4. A conventional Calculator(to perform mathematical functions)

Bartender
Google Web Toolkit Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
good ideas.

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Salvin, has anyone else written some programs, ideas which they would like to share?

salvin francis wrote:good ideas.

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well....
Bugzilla

Its a Great application, Its powerful. But, a normal end user usually finds it too complicated.

A Web UI thats rich and simplistic for the "not-so-savy" person would be great.

Thats my idea of an application.
In a few years dont be suprised if you find a "salvinzilla" or something like that.

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ssshh dont tell anyone...

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dont worry-I wont broadcast it to the thousands of visitors to this site ;-)

The programs I have suggested are not necessarily the software you would see on your pc or on the internet but they are just as valid. The ones I have suggested are typical programs you might see in a computer programming course as an assessment or a program to develop and expand later on. They are only suggestions, if you have an interest in these areas then it may be the only program you write for a while. Anyway as far as this thread is concerned, the more the merrier.

Another suggestion is:

5. A text editor

Have fun!

salvin francis wrote:ssshh dont tell anyone...

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course with programs you see on the net or on your pc, theres nothing to stop you developing "some of it". In other words write some of the logic that you know you can do. I dont really think theres a need to develop it in a formal way(with complete systems analysis etc...). Just get in there and write some code, especially early on. When youve written lots of code you can then stand back and say right "A" works and "B" doesnt work and then approach it in a more formal way.

Rog Rammer wrote:Dont worry-I wont broadcast it to the thousands of visitors to this site ;-)

The programs I have suggested are not necessarily the software you would see on your pc or on the internet but they are just as valid. The ones I have suggested are typical programs you might see in a computer programming course as an assessment or a program to develop and expand later on. They are only suggestions, if you have an interest in these areas then it may be the only program you write for a while. Anyway as far as this thread is concerned, the more the merrier.

Another suggestion is:

5. A text editor

Have fun!

salvin francis wrote:ssshh dont tell anyone...

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I had these visions:

1. An FAQ that actually Talks!!
2. An 'Infinite' desktop.

Both the ideas have been implemented @ my site, but they are not complete yet...

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
believe me , the program sally is quite intelligent, she just does not 'know' it yet

Both those programs were approached, as you stated,
"Just get in there and write some code, especially early on"
though i did do some planning before starting them (and i am still planning it.)

I am a bit biased towards web based application, as i feel that they reach more masses than your traditional desktop based application.

A great idea that I had though in my college days:

An application that creates database on the fly and provides a configurable GUI to control that database.
This would be a huge application that will be able to create Any Co-application.

eg: A jeweler could use jewelery based template, a College can use a college based template, etc.
Any one should be a able to create new screens/ modify a template to suit his needs, map the fields to database tables and get it running immediately !!

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Both very good ideas. Whereas some of mine are classic programs yours are a little more modern. I hope lots of visitors are listening to them :-)

6. A bank account program. Either one which administers bank accounts or one which simulates a cash machine. There must be money in that.

salvin francis wrote:Well I had these visions:

1. An FAQ that actually Talks!!
2. An 'Infinite' desktop.

Both the ideas have been implemented @ my site, but they are not complete yet...

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rog Rammer wrote: .. 6. A bank account program.

That exists...

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will leave the choice of platform/environment/ desktop-web app-web service to the programmer. Its the ideas I am coming up with.

I like the one about the database-I had that idea too and wrote a progrm which allowed to you write SQL-type queries(to create tables and insert/delete data etc) when you use the program. It was written in C++ way back. The program used a command-line interface :-(

Rog

salvin francis wrote:believe me , the program sally is quite intelligent, she just does not 'know' it yet

though i did do some planning before starting them (and i am still planning it.)

I am a bit biased towards web based application, as i feel that they reach more masses than your traditional desktop based application.

An application that creates database on the fly and provides a configurable GUI to control that database.
This would be a huge application that will be able to create Any Co-application.

eg: A jeweler could use jewelery based template, a College can use a college based template, etc.
Any one should be a able to create new screens/ modify a template to suit his needs, map the fields to database tables and get it running immediately !!

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about creating some "user controls" do run on a web application. I note that there might be one on this site. If you look underneath this thread i note there is an advert which links to sites such as Courses. That looks like a user control written in say C# which keeps changing the links.

Rog

Rog Rammer wrote:I will leave the choice of platform/environment/ desktop-web app-web service to the programmer. Its the ideas I am coming up with.

I like the one about the database-I had that idea too and wrote a progrm which allowed to you write SQL-type queries(to create tables and insert/delete data etc) when you use the program. It was written in C++ way back. The program used a command-line interface :-(

Rog

salvin francis wrote:believe me , the program sally is quite intelligent, she just does not 'know' it yet

salvin francis
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rog Rammer wrote:That looks like a user control written in say C# which keeps changing the links.

Nope thats probably made in javascript with a code to constantly query the server for next advertisement.

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Awww :-)

I was trying to get visitors to write a user control ;-) Ah well I tried!

Rog

salvin francis wrote:

Rog Rammer wrote:That looks like a user control written in say C# which keeps changing the links.

Nope thats probably made in javascript with a code to constantly query the server for next advertisement.

Roger Rammer
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
5. An exam engine-one which sets questions and marks it
6. A bank account program
7. A loan calculator(calculates repayments over a period of time)
8. A Calculator
9. A text editor
10. A File utilities program-file renaming and file format/writing tools

Even if these programs already exist, feel free to write your one new version..

Rog Rammer wrote:How about creating some "user controls" do run on a web application. I note that there might be one on this site. If you look underneath this thread i note there is an advert which links to sites such as Courses. That looks like a user control written in say C# which keeps changing the links.

Rog

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic