• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is SCEA for project managers only?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is the SCEA for proj managers only? or does it really help to build up some good design concepts for developers too? or is it like the other certifications where unless you are using the technology, you forget it, like I got SCWCD, but now I am doing only EJB development work day in and day out and I have forgotten most about servlets and web.xml s.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Project Management is an entirely different discipline and has little to do with SCEA. The most coveted certification for Project Managers is PMP and not SCEA.

I am one of the few guys who has a PMP and is pursuing an SCEA. SCEA is a technical certification while PMP is a more geared towards Project Management methodologies, techniques and processes.

So SCEA is for team leads, senior developers looking to transition to an architect role or existing architects. While it is possible for someone with less experience to get certified, the typical architect has more than 8-10 years experience and often times a whole lot more.

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Teja Saab wrote: ... The most coveted certification for Project Managers is PMP and not SCEA. ...

Suggesting that could result in a lengthy conversation in the job's discussion forum. There are certainly many who believe that Agile development is desirable, and PMP can sometimes be conceptually opposed to Agile concepts. A really good project leader would have many skills, and these might include Scrum Master and PMP - but they would have to understand the differences and be able to work (in an agile manner ) to incorporate the best of all their knowledge to the project they are currently working on - not everyone can do that.

But I agree with your main point - project managers are not necessarily architects and architects are not necessarily project managers. And most companies will differentiate between the roles.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
...and while I have met MANY PMPs that were able to pass the exam but could not manage worth squat, I have NEVER met an SCEA that could not back up the certification with the skills & knowledge.

(disclaimer : I am a PMP who has STOPPED adding this to my resume in the last 2 years so I do not get lumped in with "them")

I am displeased. You are no longer allowed to read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic