• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What's it like to interview Grady Booch?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm a huge Grady Booch fan. How was it to interview him?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jan

Thanks... I'm a huge Grady fan too, one of the reasons I wanted to interview him for "Making it Big in Software". The interview was a blast, and Grady is a much broader and more mature thinker than most. I think that comes through in his personal interests (kayaking, physics, chemistry, playing Celtic harp, just to name a few!). Grady is an architect’s architect. He thinks in the large, he thinks about systems, and he thinks about the future of where technology is headed.

The downside: as you can imagine the people I interviewed were extremely hard to reach. Some are nearly impossible to reach. I had to use a wide array of crafty schemes and nearly superhuman persistence to reach many of them. With Grady I expected an easier ride since he and I both work at IBM. I have direct access to his email, telephone and instant messaging. (Sorry, no, I can't share them with you). So how hard could it be? But, truth be told, it was hard getting time with him. He's a busy guy! Once we managed to finally get some solid time together the interview was fantastic, and I felt privileged having the one on one time with him. I was a Grady Booch fan before my interview with him and now even more so.

Sam

Jan Cumps
Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for sharing.

And I am happy that you have written a book with Software in the title that is not about the software. I just ordered it.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic