• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WAS 7 in RAD 7 Publish Slowness

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We're running WAS 7.0.0.3 under RAD 7.5.3, but in the past we have run WAS 6 under that same RAD. The performance downgrade from 6 to 7 is DRAMATIC.

First, there seems to be NO hot code feature anymore for debugging. Every time I change ANYTHING, regardless of whether the class was loaded or the interface of the class changed, the server needs to republish and restart. WAS6 allowed changes WHILE DEBUGGING THAT CLASS as long as you didn't add variables or change the method signatures, and would slide the instruction pointer to the top of the method upon rebuild. Very useful. WAS7 seems to have NO such capacity, and it doesn't even matter if that particular class hasn't even been loaded yet!

Second, and even more debilitating, is that almost every publish takes 5-10 minutes (sometimes more) regardless of how small the change.

This is unacceptably slow. I've seen some stuff online blaming annotation scanning. I added 'metadata-complete="true"' to my webapp node, and that helped a little, but not much. Further, the new app we're starting probably will need annotations, so I can't really get away with that.

I can't believe IBM just spiked their new release like this. I mean, IBM has always released BloatWare, but this is ridiculous. There must be some setting or something that is crippling this. Anyone have ideas?

I've got 3.5GB RAM. Note that WAS itself runs okay...it's the PUBLISH that is killing us.

Brian Mulholland
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I should also note that the publish times out fairly often. But a second publish usually succeeds.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In order to reduce publishes, i've been looking at using the plugin jRebel to do the hot deployments and it seems to be working. This is especially useful since RAD doesn't support hot deployments. JRebel supports most of the changes that I do on a daily basis, but there are still some changes that require publish such as Hibernate Config or J2EE bean changes, but most other code changes seem to work. The only negative is that the plugin is a bit expensive.

I'm looking into other things to reduce publish times, but I don't have anything definitive answers at this time.

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you - Fred Rogers. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic