• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Struts progress-bar

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I want to display a progress-bar in my Struts application. When a user clicks a buuton on a JSp page, some heavy background processing takes place and the results (a list of records) is displayed in the same window.I want to display a progress-bar while the list of records is being retrieved. I read an article on ONJava.com, which uses threads to achieve this. I am not too keen on using threads, though.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to do something like this:

(HTTP request to /yourapp/JobServlet?action=startjob)
1. Start a background job (using threads, directly or indirectly) and assign it some kind of an identifier, say 1234 for example.
2. Render a HTML page for the client which includes a <META> tag for refreshing to URL /yourapp/JobServlet?action=poll&jobid=1234 after a few seconds or minutes, depending on the estimated duration of the job execution, and make the page say something like "processing your job, please wait..."

(HTTP request to /yourapp/JobServlet?action=poll&jobid=1234)
1. Look at a table of finished jobs.
2. If the job was marked as finished, render a "job complete" HTML page for the client. If the job was still in pending state, render another "please wait" page, effectively making the client wait for another X seconds or minutes. If you want a visual sign of progress, this "please wait" page should include a graphic that represents the progress.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Lasse Koskela, If you have any sample code/example, can you post it here or can you send me aluri.java@gmail.com

thanks in advance

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic