• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Concatenate 2 RTF files into one

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello I wrote a Java program that concatenates 2 RTF files into one single RTF file.
It reads the first line of the first RTF file, puts it on the generated file.
After it takes the content of the 2 files and puts it on the generated file.
Finally it takes the last line of the 2nd file and puts it on the generated file.

The RTF file is generated, it is open, but the page Break that I put to separate both documents is ignored.

Here is my code:

My 2 RTF files have a table and a text. They only have one page each.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there another better solution to do this?

Thanks

regards

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This program goes to rather elaborate lengths -- perhaps inadvertently -- to remove all the newlines from the original files, thereby breaking most of the formatting and probably mangling the text as well. Instead of reading using a RandomAccessFile, read using BufferedReader, which is designed to work with text. Instead of using FileOutputStream, use a PrintWriter, which again is designed to work with text, not binary data as FileOutputStream is. Instead of using write(string.getBytes()), use println(string), which will put the newline back at the end of the line.

Alternatively, you could avoid reading and writing lines altogether, and simply read the bytes of one file into the new file, and then the other -- i.e.,

That will of course preserve all the newlines as well.

Paulo Carvalho
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your answer

You are right about reading the bytes instead of reading lines but, I must read the first line of the first file to get/keep the RTF header. If I dont do that, during the process, the 2nd file will replace the 1st one instead of being appended (if I am not wrong...)...

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That makes sense -- I actually don't know anything about RTF files per se. So I would just go with reading and writing using BufferedReader and PrintWriter, as described above.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Note that RTF is a structured document format that contain headers, so the resulting file will have multiple headers. While the actual content -text, images, tables etc.- may be OK in the combined document, the headers (which contain style information, amongst other data) could clash. Just something to be aware of.

Paulo Carvalho
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried your recommendation using PrintWriter and BufferedReader classes but the result is the same.

Both RTFs are merged, but, I dont know why the page break between them is ignored.

Here is the code now:

Any help is welcome!

Thanks
regards

Paulo Carvalho
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And the solution must also take in account that one RTF can have been created with notepad and other RTF have been created with word (so the header of both RTF documents will be different).
So I don't even know if it is possible to do such thing...

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was curious too, so I changed the filenames to files on my system and ran your code. The resulting file worked for me in Microsoft Word -- the page break showed up. On the other hand, in Textedit on Mac OS X, there was no page break.

In any case, I had just assumed that you knew enough about RTF to know that this was possible, so I was just helping with the Java bits. But if this is not something that generally works with RTF files, then you may need to go another way, perhaps by using a library that reads and understands RTF and then lets you modify it. iText (http://www.itextpdf.com/) used to have some RTF capability, but it's apparently been removed. You may need to do some googling.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paulo Carvalho wrote:And the solution must also take in account that one RTF can have been created with notepad and other RTF have been created with word (so the header of both RTF documents will be different).
So I don't even know if it is possible to do such thing...

How an RTF file was created only matters as far as the character encoding used. The specification for RTF seems to only allows one character set attribute per document (\ansi, \mac, \pc or \pcaso) so it is going to be difficult to concatenate two documents without converting them to the same character encoding.

Concatenation of the documents is not as simple as just concatenating the files. One needs to create a new document with valid prefix and suffix sections, convert the body of each document to a common format then insert each into the new document.

A few years ago I worked with RFT documents in Java. I had the simple task of replacing macro type elements e.g. ${abcd} with values computed by the program. This simple task turned out be be much more difficult than I expected since it was possible for the '${a' to be in one format and the 'bcd}' to be in another with the two bits separated by the code to change the format. Not fun.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic