• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

resourcebundle

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi
if i use ResourceBundle.getbundle("aaa"), more than one time, does the bundle loads each time i use this, or only the first time?

thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Look into the API doc:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html

Cache Management

Resource bundle instances created by the getBundle factory methods are cached by default, and the factory methods return the same resource bundle instance multiple times if it has been cached. getBundle clients may clear the cache, manage the lifetime of cached resource bundle instances using time-to-live values, or specify not to cache resource bundle instances. Refer to the descriptions of the getBundle factory method, clearCache, ResourceBundle.Control.getTimeToLive, and ResourceBundle.Control.needsReload for details.

dan volfman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok, thanks.
now, if i use bundle to get a properties file. how can i make the bundle reload when the properties file changes? or reload every defined time?

clearCache() doesnt do the job..

Peter Taucher
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried to do something similar a few years ago and never got it running. Afaik a resource bundle cannot be easily updated / reread. And you cannot simply extend ResourceBundle and provide your own implementation because most of it's members are private (you'd have to implement it from scratch).

To refresh the contents of a bundle you have to clear the cache (even that wasn't possible before Java 6!) and reread the bundle:

Of course, for the example to work you have to add '.' (executing directory) to your classpath ; - )

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic