• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which java MVC Framework is being used most ?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Which java MVC Framework is being used most ??

1)Struts 1.x
2)Struts 2.x
3) Spring
4) Any Other

Which MVC frame work is been Used most......

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm thinking #1 and #3. I pick #1 and #2 over #3 due to the large amount of "legacy" projects created when Struts 1 was most popular.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I doubt anyone can answer this. What we can tell you is what we encounter at work.

I have dealt with a lot of #1, a little of #2 and none of #3. Whatever happened to JSF ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Struts 1.x is still most widely used MVC framework. Struts2, I doubt if many people will use it at this stage because of it's problem with performance, it's tag library at least I did not find it as easy as it was in struts 1.x and for people who are migrating from Struts 1.x to Struts2.x the concept value stacks all those things. Spring MVC, I did not find any problem with it except no good book, insufficient documentation.
JSF is not request/response MVC. It is component framework based on events like Swing. Though JSF is popular but learning curve is very big. Sometime back I read a debate about JSF vs Wicket in some forum, both have their plus and minus. Hope this helps.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are asking from an employability perspective, check a few local online advertisements to see what the prospective employers are looking for?

You can't go wrong with struts 1.x. It is easy to learn.

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

arulk pillai wrote:
You can't go wrong with struts 1.x.

+1

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sandeep Awasthi wrote:

arulk pillai wrote:

+1

Struts 1.x has some serious deficiencies (who wants to write form beans?). It is popular simply because it was first out of the gate. If you are developing new software, you are doing yourself a disservice by not using a more modern framework like Struts 2, Stripes, Spring and so on.
This article gives some insight into the popularity of various Java web frameworks. It's from 2008, but if you click on the graphs, you get the up-to-date versions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Struts 1.x has some serious deficiencies (who wants to write form beans?).

This is only an opinion. Struts does what it needs to and nothing more. It all comes down to how to write code and how you implement loose coupling between the Struts parts and the Model parts. Typically problems stem from "how" the developer created the application rather than the framework itself.

As an example, in Struts 1.x you DON'T have to write Java code for ActionForm objects (beans). All you need for creating the bean is to specify the fields in the configuration file. See below:

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Joe Ess wrote:

Sandeep Awasthi wrote:

arulk pillai wrote:

+1

Struts 1.x has some serious deficiencies (who wants to write form beans?). It is popular simply because it was first out of the gate. If you are developing new software, you are doing yourself a disservice by not using a more modern framework like Struts 2, Stripes, Spring and so on.
This article gives some insight into the popularity of various Java web frameworks. It's from 2008, but if you click on the graphs, you get the up-to-date versions.

You will find many articles which will compare these frameworks. But I have actually done POCs with Spring MVC , Struts 2. and JSF. Struts1.x I have worked many projects. It depends on your requirement. If you want to use XSL,Velocity,Web 2.0, yes modern frameworks are better choice. But Struts 2 had performance problem. You will find many links like this. You do not even have to measure it's performance. You can feel it immediately.

As I said +1 for Struts1.x because ease of use, ease of learning, many books available, easy to find developers for it. And it does not have serious deficiencies otherwise so many projects successfully running on it would not have been possible.
XSL yes you can use XSL with struts 1.x as well. Stxx
Web 2.0, yes it can be used.
JSF as I said more popular these days because it is component based framework. But learning curve is high. I do not know complete JSF. But I agree it is more popular.
Spring MVC not enough documentation. It also has one more problem is it's tag library support is too small as compared to Struts 1.x. Validation, in the beginning you will get tired to show proper validation message, you will have to search on google many times to get it right. So investment of time is high.
If you are not using fancy XSL, Velocity,FreeMaker and use plain JSP and tiles template, well Struts 1.x has already proved it self in the market. You can even use XSL with Struts 1.x as I said above.

If I have to choose web framework, I will not go and check every framework listed here. Instead I will check for what I am going to use this project, what is my requirement and will choose the framework which is already proved it self. It does not mean I will stick to Struts 1.x, but I will think on other factors too like investment of time, risk involved , availability of developers.

I agree Struts 1.x has become old as compared to modern frameworks. But it is still something which can not be ignored completely. It has many positive things. And all it depends on what is my requirement.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JSF + SEAM is a good combo. I feel like the learning curve is not that bad. Also Java EE6 embraces lot of features from SEAM including CDI.

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JSF and Seam can be good choice if your objective is job market.

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The OP asking which Java MVC framework is being used the most, he doesn't care if Seam+JSF is a good combo.
Not to mention Seam+JSF isn't MVC framework any way...

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic