• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what am I doing wrong?

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have the K&B book,I intend to take the SCJP exam

the problem is:

No matter what I do,I always do a horrible job at the self test

for example,I read chapter 6 on I/O,I understood all the points that I need to pass the exam

I also went through the 2 minute drill

But I got 4 answers right,out of 15 questions!

Any input would be appreciated

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well perhaps you are jumping at the answer too quickly ? It pays to wait and analyze the question / answer before you choose an option. Any specific area that bogs you down ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mahmoud,

I understand how you feel. I have been studying for the SCJP for 6 months and I am not satisfied with my slow progression. Every time I think I'm starting to do well, I take a mock exam and watch my confidence drop like a rock. I almost feel like I am never going to get this. I even took Java and Advanced Java in college and scored an A in both of them. For some reason, I just can't seem to do well with this certification format. It's very frustrating.

Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Deepak Bala wrote:Well perhaps you are jumping at the answer too quickly ? It pays to wait and analyze the question / answer before you choose an option. Any specific area that bogs you down ?

I've read most of the first chapter,up until chapter 4,chapter 3 was a pain,but nothing I couldn't handle

then I decided to jump to chapter 6,because I/O was something I always wanted to learn about because it's used everywhere

as for chapter 5,I know what it's about,just didn't read it through

the problem with chapter 6 is that I feel like some parts are not explained as they should,like the part of using the tokenizing capabilities of the Scanner class

another thing that bothers me is the absence of an errata,even after 2 years of the book's release

Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Chad Michaels wrote:Mahmoud,

I understand how you feel. I have been studying for the SCJP for 6 months and I am not satisfied with my slow progression. Every time I think I'm starting to do well, I take a mock exam and watch my confidence drop like a rock. I almost feel like I am never going to get this. I even took Java and Advanced Java in college and scored an A in both of them. For some reason, I just can't seem to do well with this certification format. It's very frustrating.

Are you new to programming?

If you know another programming language,use it to help you better understand the java code,it works sometimes

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i've been studied for 4 mouths and have the same difficult, but i didn't give up yet.

Lasagna is spaghetti flvored cake. Just like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic