• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE in future?

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Yup want to discuess on one of my confusion here .... We can't predict future but want to know is it safe to stick with J2EE or better to switch with mobile technologies...?

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

We can't predict future but want to know is it safe to stick with J2EE or better to switch with mobile technologies...?

Y we can't predict future, But Paul can ask him

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What's to prevent you from capitalizing on J2ee in the mobile space? Mobile devices don't have much processing power or storage. Anything complex will be sent back up to the server. What to build the server out of. . .
Or maybe you want to build an app for the major platforms. Rather than dealing with each API, you could make a web app and what could one build a web app out of. . .

Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Know everything about something, and something about everything"

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What kind of mobile apps are you talking about? Since you mentioned J2EE (actually, it is now Java EE) I assume that you are talking about enterprise applications and not desktop apps (games, utilities, ect.). With an enterprise-level mobile application you will still at some point need to access the enterprise data in which case you will using the app on the mobile device to communicate with the Java EE apps that maintain the data for the enterprise.

Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
like if we see today there's huge requirement in iphone and android while use of j2ee become less in designing websites because of some easy technologies like php and all and day by day these types of project coming less in numbers.. So thinking of these problems made me in dilemma to what to do..

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

while use of j2ee become less in designing websites

If you think JavaEE is used to build websites, I think you get the wrong idea about JavaEE.

Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nope I didn't mean that it is only used to make websites just want to make point that there are lots of other option available in market and they are very easy to use and implement also they contains nearly everything so J2EE has competition in market.
Also the mobile market growing day by day and it has lots of thing left to do and it's future also look bright to me ...

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Freddy Wong wrote:

while use of j2ee become less in designing websites

If you think JavaEE is used to build websites, I think you get the wrong idea about JavaEE.

JSF, Servlets, JSTL and web services are parts of the Java EE stack, and those technologies can be used to build web sites.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Joe Ess wrote:JSF, Servlets, JSTL and web services are parts of the Java EE stack, and those technologies can be used to build web sites.

Sure, they can be used to write websites. I think a more interesting question is:

Should JSF, Servlets, JSTL, etc be used when you are not doing a website?
Should you use them for a mobile phone application? or a stand-alone desktop app?

I can't see quite how you would use servlets without a webserver.

Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Should JSF, Servlets, JSTL, etc be used when you are not doing a website?
Should you use them for a mobile phone application? or a stand-alone desktop app?

I can't see quite how you would use servlets without a webserver.

Yup that's what I wanna ask... Is these frameworks and technologies used in other application also?

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kaustubh G Sharma wrote:Yup that's what I wanna ask... Is these frameworks and technologies used in other application also?

As I and others have said, the answer to your question is "yes". J2EE has a place in the mobile application space. Would I try to run Weblogic on an Droid? No. Is J2EE only for building websites? No. Would I use J2EE for a stand-alone desktop app? It depends.
The Java framework arena has thousands of useful tools. It is an exercise for the programmer to figure out what tools are most useful for the task at hand.

Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well it may be again the same thing but in different manner...

May be we can inherit the frameworks in other technologies. Are we using J2EE specefic coding for mobile or other technology well I think things get change with the hardware. We can use a part of this into mobile or other technologies but rest has to learn which definetely take some time to inherit it and also J2EE got very good competition in market so this makes thing worst......

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic