• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Web service and JApplet

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have made one JApplet connected with MySQL database. I run it in a web page using one php file to write in a database. I would like to use a Web service instead of that php file to do the recording. Does anybody have any advice about this? I'm beginner in working with Web services and any help would be appreciated.

Php file looks like this (it gets only one parameter from JApplet and writes it in the database):

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!
First of all, enumerate the operations you want your web service to support. Then write a Java class with one method for each of the operations. Finally, annotate the class with @WebService and you should be done!
What server do you want to use to run the web service in? Each type of server has, more or less, different ways of setting up access to a database.
If you want to set up database access from your application and not involve the server, then I can recommend:
- Plain JDBC.
Slightly verbose, as far as the code you have to write is concerned.
- Spring JDBC templates.
Nice and easy for simple applications. You will still issue plain SQL queries.
- Some JPA persistence provider, such as EclipseLink or Hibernate.
If you need ORM.

If you use Spring Roo to create your entity classes, then you get persistence with ORM "almost free" with very little work. Personally, I feel it is definitely worth the effort to do one or two tutorials on Spring Roo just to avoid writing DAOs and entity classes.
Best wishes!

maja neskovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for this explanation. I guess that JDBC would be ok to use. I'll try to do this and report for results.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic