• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Control over terminal

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

So I was writing an app that will be running constantly, checking for input files and processing those files. It is multi threaded and I also had it wrapped in a neat swing gui to show which threads are busy, what state they are in if they are busy, etc. I had forgotten that my test environment (which was Fedora running under a VM where I ran X) was different from the final place, in which I don't have X, only terminal access.

So I'm wondering how do I gain control over the terminal window to update portions of it (like top does) in java?

The idea is that I would like to have it in basically two sections, section 1 is just the information, and I would still like to be able to issue commands to it (mostly the shutdown command). I'm not exactly familiar with interactive command line beyond being able to get from the command line, so any push in the right direction would be much appreciated. I have not been able to find much online, but that is probably because I am not exactly sure what to call it (as in what to search).

Thanks,

Don't destroy the earth! That's where I keep all my stuff! Including this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic