• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

C and GUI's

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Forum users,
is there any easy to use GUI-library for C, similar to Swing on Java. I've been doing unsuccessfully research on this since two days.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think the terms "easy to use GUI" and C language are incompatible. Made worse by the idea that you probably want the GUI to be OS-platform independent. Of course, its all software, so anything is possible.

Back in the 1980s, I wrote C code for Windows 386. It was possible, but it sure was not easy to use.

I rarely see "C" and "GUI" in the same set of requirements. While there is tons of C being written in the embedded space, that world does not do WIMP GUI work.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree that "easy to use" and C (or C++) don't go hand in hand, at least not in the world of free software. (Some of the commercial GUI libraries may be easier to get started with.)

Personally, I don't think that X11/Xt is hard. It's obsolete, the code is certainly verbose, and it's not fun to program - but X is widely available and free. It all depends a bit on which platform the code is supposed to run on, and how you intend to distribute the application (if at all).

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are a number of excellent solutions these days, actually -- Qt and wxWidgets are probably the two leading contenders. Both are cross-platform and both are perfectly decent.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic