• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Android - What got you into it and what keeps you ticking?

Ranch Hand
Android IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff,

What was it that made you take the step into Android in the first place? And more importantly, what keeps you interested?

For me, there was a mobile development tournament held at work, I had a go out of curiosity to learn something new (and won, woot!)

I also think its quite interesting, and is probably a good investment for the future since mobile applications, and mobilising existing systems will become more popular

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What was it that made you take the step into Android in the first place?

Possibility of participating in Android Developer Challenge and the fact that the platform was new when I started.

And more importantly, what keeps you interested?

Diversity in (mobile app) ideas - what to create? Variety of the technologies involved in writing good mobile apps.

Monu Tripathi
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@James:
I am not Jeff but I hope you wont mind my reply.

James Elsey
Ranch Hand
Android IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No worries Monu,

Was directed at Jeff but interested to hear others views

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did some J2ME before, was quite fun (not every project, though). I like to program for limited devices.

The power and connectivity of the new devices really boosts their usefulness. Suddenly a lot of things that were possible before to do with a computer make sense to do with a computer. Be it a calendar or address book (no need for error prone syncing and different data bases) or a to do list. Mobile "phones" aren't longer mobile "phones"; they are personal digital assistant like promised and tried at the end of the nineties, but really useful now. And with the possibility to program them freely ("apps") they can be configured to be the device you want/need. Not everyone needs a sport tracker, a translator or a client for an ancient Asian board game; but it only takes seconds to install them and you have a tool that helps *you*. (Oh, yes, you can still make calls, but why, when you can use Skype, Google Voice, SIP or similar at cheaper rates?)

I want to take part in this.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic