• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

"The girl who..." by Stieg Larson

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm reading these, because everyone else is, and my wife has them.

1) I don't get why everyone thinks they are so great.
2) The Swedish, it seems, drink a LOT of coffee
3) the author doesn't seem to think very highly of how women are treated over there

Granted, reading 1.5 works of FICTION are by no means a good way to judge a society, but still...I wonder what Swedes think of these books?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Barely heard of them, sorry. I recommend Complicity by Iain Banks. It is thriller murder mystery by a sci-fi writer where you are guilty.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not much familiar with Swedish society, so I can't speak to that, but I like the books because (at least part of) their setting is so nicely different from most crime novels: not a big, anonymous city with lots of people around all the time - rural countryside, seemingly homely folks, endless forests to drive through etc. And yet, it has an underside.

For the same reason I like the "David Hunter" books by Simon Beckett which are set in the British, Scottish and TN countrysides, for the most part.

@David: The books are huge over here. Of course, we're a lot closer to Sweden :-)

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:I'm reading these, because everyone else is, and my wife has them.

1) I don't get why everyone thinks they are so great.

Your first sentence explains it. Everyone thinks they are so great because everyone else is reading them.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I wouldn't say that they are "great", but I very much enjoyed reading them.

And yeah, if I drank that much coffee and at that those times, I'd never get a wink of sleep.

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I gave up coffee (mostly) a few years ago. If i have one cup of coffee after 10:00 a.m., I won't sleep.

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:I'm not much familiar with Swedish society, so I can't speak to that, but I like the books because (at least part of) their setting is so nicely different from most crime novels: not a big, anonymous city with lots of people around all the time - rural countryside, seemingly homely folks, endless forests to drive through etc. And yet, it has an underside.

For the same reason I like the "David Hunter" books by Simon Beckett which are set in the British, Scottish and TN countrysides, for the most part.

I liked the detective novels of Janwillem van de Wetering, perhaps for similar reasons. Although they were often set in Amsterdam, which is certainly a big anonymous city, they didn't seem to be primarily about criminals or low-lifes, but more about the detectives themselves. Perhaps that comes from van de Wetering's Zen background.

I haven't read any Stieg Larson books but perhaps they are like that too?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:I gave up coffee (mostly) a few years ago. If i have one cup of coffee after 10:00 a.m., I won't sleep.

p.m.?

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:I haven't read any Stieg Larson books but perhaps they are like that too?

No, not really. There are only these 3 books (the author passed away after finishing the 3rd), and they tell just one progressing story which centers around "the girl" of the title (don't want to give away too much in case someone hasn't read them). But the characters on all sides are looked at in depth - the girl, her friends, her foes, the police who work on the case, the press that covers it. Nobody is a "clean" hero or villain, they all have strength and weaknesses, but are caught up in this extraordinary story and have to adapt as more bits and pieces of it come to light. In the end, the story becomes so powerful that none of the characters remains unchanged by it.

I concur with Bear - it's not great literature, but a great read.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The girl who I should not have come up with. I've read them all. Here are my thoughts :
  • I like the first one, although it's a bit vicious. But I thought the last 100 or so pages could have been thrown to the basket.
  • I felt that the second one took ages to start, but finally it was not so bad.
  • I really didn't like the last one, wondering when it'd end.
  • There's too much Apple references And I don't care which text editor Blomkvist(?) is using.
  • I was disappointed that the math book Lisbeth is reading in the last tome does not exist

• All in all, I think it's over hyped. Why are these bestsellers ?? After that, I read Bitch Creek, by William G. Tapply. Much better

fred rosenberger
    lowercase baba
    Chrome Java Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Vikas Kapoor wrote:

fred rosenberger wrote:I gave up coffee (mostly) a few years ago. If i have one cup of coffee after 10:00 a.m., I won't sleep.

p.m.?

nope. I really meant a.m.

Ranch Hand
    Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    i suggest you to go for ABC MURDERS by agatha criste ,one of nice stuff i have read till now.

Beauty is in the eye of the tiny ad.
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic