• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Wait for OCJP 7/8, or take OCJP 6?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As a college sophomore, I'm interested in how certifications will look on my resume. I'm studying for the OCJP 6, but I noticed that Java 7 will be out mid-2011. Since I am unfamiliar with how certifications are viewed in industry, I thought this would be an appropriate time to seek your collective wisdom.

Should I:
A) Take the OCJP 6, put it on the resume and forget about it (Java 8 will probably be out by the time I start job hunting)
B) Wait for the OCJP 7
C) Wait for the OCJP 8
D) Take the OCJP 6, and renew later with OCJP 8 (Although I'm not a big fan of paying twice)
E) Other

I guess my question is, how important is it to prospective employers that candidates have an up-to-date Java certification?

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JR Brandon.

It takes a long time to update a certification. Folks first need to beta test it and then release results. It takes 3-4 months to release a new version of a certificate after embarking on the journey to update it.

Certificate version does not help differentiate you much from others. A former manager once asked me 'Great you completed the SCJP. err... what is SCJP ?'. So the version plays little significance among those that cannot understand their relevance. The word 'those' in the previous sentence being representative of HR and project managers that would hire you.

In summary, the version does not matter much, in my opinion.

Brandon Hinesley
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That makes sense. Thank you for such a detailed response, I appreciate it.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic