• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Head first Java telling me to Change an Int Array to ArrayList - Eclipse telling me no can do

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Im learning Java with Head First Java (had to buy it for my school, I actually think its a crap book)

And on page 139 it gives you the code for a Battleship type game. It uses two three classes, two of which I will put down here.

I think the problem is the code tells java to change a int array to an ArrayList. Which Eclipse tells me is impossible. But thats how the code in the Book is. My head hurts ;(

Heres the Code:

And the other class:

Ideas on how I can get it to work/ what i did wrong?

Seraph none
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I managed to solve the problem on my own by changing the locations int[] to a ArrayList! heres the result:

You can still comment on whether there is a better way or if this is fine...

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You must also change the calling code. Since the method now requires an ArrayList<String> you should provide an ArrayList<String>. So instead of you must use an ArrayList<String>:
I have two improvements though.

1) use ArrayList<Integer> instead of ArrayList<String>. You require numbers, not just any String. Make sure to validate the input.
2) program against interfaces. Instead of ArrayList you use List, except possibly for the initialization.

You can now use the following code:
That one "odd" line, Arrays.asList(randomNum, randomNum + 1, randomNum + 2), uses varargs. In this case, it requires Objects, so the ints are autoboxed into Integers. The result is a List<Integer>.

Hmmm, wait a second. Arrays.asList has one drawback - you cannot add to or remove from this List. You can solve this by copying the contents into an ArrayList:

There are 29 Knuts in one Sickle, and 17 Sickles make up a Galleon. 42 tiny ads in a knut:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic