• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Learning a dance

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I'm considering learning a dance like Tango, Waltz or anything I don't know about.
How to pick the right dance for me?
I'm particularly interested in Tango.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think the fact that you are interested is reason enough. Just go for it. If you don't like it, you can try another dance.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are lots of places you can go to learn - at least there are where I live. Some will have a "learn this one dance" class, and some will have a "learn dance A, B and C". MANY years ago I took a swing, waltz and cha-cha class, and another that did foxtrot, a different swing, and...something else (but not tango). I'm sure if you search you can find something similar.

Even if they don't have a class that covers more than one, just pick one that works with your schedule. Any six or eight week class will get you started, get you a good feel for that style, and will benefit you in learning the other dances.

I have been swing dancing for about 15 years now, and have loved EVERY minute of it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:I have been swing dancing for about 15 years now, and have loved EVERY minute of it.

Big WOW ! It looks like one needs to be in real sync with partner else injuries might happen. Very athletic dance.

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't see the video here at work, but there are dozens of different kinds of swing dance. If the video has lifts (i.e. one dancer being lifted/thrown into the air), that is NOT social dancing - that is performance dancing. Those couples practice those exact moves together for hours at a time - and should never perform them on a crowded floor.

and yes, even social dancing is very athletic. I used to be a lot thinner, back when I was dancing 4-6 nights a week.

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yup...that was a competition lindy hop. Notice that there was for the most part nobody else on the floor while they were doing that. Lindy is one of the fastest, hardest swing dances (IMHO), but it's GREAT FUN to watch (and do, on a simpler level) than what you posted here.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey you! I have taken dancing lessons to learn how to Walz and Tango and even Cha Cha Cha (years ago, but neverthless) and I have to say, it's not that hard. Walz at least. Tango is a bit more difficult I found, I couldn't really get the hang of that. Cha cha cha was really fun and easy (at least the basic steps). I never got past to the more complicated stuff. I would recommend you go with one stable partner if possible. Because if you keep changing your dance partner it is a lot more difficult to learn (I found this at least to be the case, cause you have to get used to the new partner every time).

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I disagree with that last part. If you always dance with the same person, you tend to rely on each other mistakes. If you dance with many different people, you really have to learn how to lead/follow, and communicate with your partner.

Which brings up another point. Learn to dance 'the other side'. I am a male, so for years I danced the lead. Someone told me I should try following, so I did. I learned so much so fast doing that, I became a MUCH better leader, since I understood what my partner needed.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic