• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what good is a struts framework without session support?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have come to realize that struts really cannot properly deal with session support since browsers seem to adversely, or at least inconsistently, affect servelet sessions.

As posted earlier, you get the same session ID opening my struts application in two instances of Netscape 7.2, but with MS Explorer you get two different sessions. The problem is that when you get the same session in two browser windows in Netscape, one clobbers the variables in the other.

struts does not seem to be able to deal with this. Does anybody know otherwise?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
this is like blaming the cars for bad drivers. it's NOT a struts-specific issue. see my reply to your same question on jguru.

Ed Chawlik
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I appreciate at leaset getting the reply...

This was the reply:

�alan do, Oct 23, 2005
this is a common issue NOT unique to struts. look at ebay, amazon, dell, buy.com or any other non-struts site and you will find the exact same behaviors....�

It is still a problem for struts, is it not? How would one deal with this in struts. I am beginning to think this is an expired page issue.

Also, it seems that the session is somehow based on the process ID of the browser. Netscape has one process ID for sever browser windows.

alan do
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
problem FOR struts is not a problem OF struts. you are absolutely correct that this is a problem, but it's not a flaw of struts. struts is a framework that structuralized and simplified your web application development. it's not set out to address every problem of basic web technologies, especially browser issues particular to the multiple sessions dependence on browser usage behaviors.

my suggestion is consider some workflow implementation in your app if you anticipate users opening multiple windows before completing an application/business path. see http://www.livinglogic.de/Struts/ for a struts implementation of workflow. honestly though, 90% of apps are not critical enough (or at least don't care too much) to enforce workflow across sessions if the users are 'odd' enough to launch multiple browsers to do the same thing.

Ed Chawlik
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
alan,
Thanks again for the reply, I will look into that extention.

Ed Chawlik
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yep, that will do the trick. Thanks again.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic