• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Pro Android Web Apps - tutorials?

Ranch Hand
Clojure Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for posting to JavaRanch. The Amazon.com writeup of the book states "Learn how to structure mobile web apps through a number of practical, real-world application examples." Are the examples portions of complete applications, or is there and end-to-end tutorial for some simple application?

I have found it much easier to adopt new software development skills based on detailed tutorials that accompany the more abstract concepts.

Thanks for your time.
-Mike

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
During the first 6 chapter, you will build a todo list app, from very basic to very elaborated at the end chapter 6, a lot of different concepts are artioulated around this sample app.
The rest of the book will be focused on building a geosocial Game , very cool !

Michael Swierczek
Ranch Hand
Clojure Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Outstanding, sir, thank you!

My current favorite web application framework is the Play Framework. I really can't say how it compares overall to Spring MVC, JSF, Tapestry, Wicket, etc... but Play has a fabulous tutorial that introduces almost all of the major concepts it uses, and got me writing some non-trivial applications in less than a week. All of the others, at least when I looked at them, had less helpful introductions.

Sebastien Blanc
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
if you like Play! you should also check Grails, it's my favorite web framework and I contribute also for it by building plugins

Michael Swierczek
Ranch Hand
Clojure Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the suggestion, I will check it out.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, What are the prerequisites for your book? I have no web apps experience but I know how to code in java. I'm also currently learning android application development. thanks.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Lemig Gimeno wrote:Hi, What are the prerequisites for your book? I have no web apps experience but I know how to code in java. I'm also currently learning android application development. thanks.

Ideally you would have some experience with HTML, CSS and Javascript before jumping into Pro Android Web Apps. If you haven't you can still work through the samples, but I will be honest and say it will get pretty heavy going quite quickly. If you were interested in investigating the mobile web apps approach, then the book would definitely help you do that. I would just make sure you have a Javascript and possibly jQuery book close at hand before diving in though. The HTML is nothing complicated, and you could get by without understanding how the CSS works (until a later time at least).

Hopefully that answers your question.

Cheers,
Damon.

Be reasonable. You can't destroy everything. Where would you sit? How would you read a tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic