• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What to focus on when starting Android development?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

it's good to have you around on the Ranch because I recently stumbled into Android development (or, the idea of wanting to do it) -- funny enough this happened just after (or because?) my sweetheart got an iPod 4G ;) I already looked into a few introductions (the official Google site and two or three text books) and found all the new stuff a bit overwhelming though -- as a software professional -- I'm a Java guy since v1.0. The entire approach appears somewhat different from Java Mobile with the J2ME SDK and made me very curious about Android so I already ordered a Smartphone to get a feeling for the OS from the user's point of view.

As for learnig to develop for Android: would you recommend to spend some time learning about the system architecture and the inner workings first, i.e. do you consider theory necessary in the first place for becoming a proficient Android programmer? Or would you encourage me to dive into some code examples and try it out myself in Eclipse/ADT which suits my personal preferences much better. When I recently adopted new technologies I found that it is more fun to postpone the theory but I also reached a point very early where I didn't make any progress any more. Would it help not to start »doing« unless I felt a little bit more confident about the internals?

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to consider your book no matter if I have to buy it since I like the »... in Action« series very much.

Kind regards
Manfred

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Manfred,

I am particularly partial to chapter 1 of Android in Action as I wrote it -- and I feel that it does a pretty good job of laying out the architecture of the platform and how things are wired together. I would suggest starting there.

The chapter was updated in the second edition, though the first chapter of the first edition is freely available: http://manning.com/ableson/SampleChapter1.pdf

Cheers.

Frank

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic