• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Possible reasons?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am using JDBC to update a database daily. The servlet acts on date triggers. The problem-- unless I reinstall the servlet each morning -- the database will not update. Looks like some sort of initialization problem. I am not sure if with my server or tomcat.

Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Q...

Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Regina Thomas wrote:... The servlet acts on date triggers. The problem-- unless I reinstall the servlet each morning -- the database will not update.

How you configured the servlet to *act* on this? What you meant by *reinstall servlet*, how do you do this?

... I am not sure if with my server or tomcat.

What other server you use?

Regina Thomas
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I check the current date with data already stored. If the date has changed I retrieve the new data file.. Unless I reinstall the servlet- after the date change-- the process will not trigger when called from a web page. I am deleting the contents of a table and adding new data for the current date.

I have used this process elsewhere and it works fine and if it was not working it would not work when I upload a new copy of the servlet. It does work.

on a unix os using apache and tomcat.

Q...

Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I check the current date with data already stored. If the date has changed I retrieve the new data file.. Unless I reinstall the servlet- after the date change

That means this could run only once for a day if it works fine? If the date changes you have to manually call the servlet? And what you meant by *reinstall the servlet-*, Can you tell us how you do this?

the process will not trigger when called from a web page.

I assume you have this code to do the work inside one of the doXXX methods in the servlet?

Regina Thomas
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, however you made me think of another issue. I am using doGet which I have used in the past-- with no problem. I think I will try the doPost but really see no reason why that would work.

The thing is-- it works when I re-install the class file on the server. It works fine in my local test environment-- doget... but since I have tried everything else, I will give the dopost a try...

Q...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic