• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Monkhouse & Camerlengo book: SCJD Exam with J2SE 5

Greenhorn
Oracle Debian Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I passed the SCJP exam last week and I'm now interested in completing the OCMJD certification. I'm aware that I need to get moving quickly if I want to get it done before August 1st so I'm hoping to get things rolling this week.

My preparation for last week's exam was helped a lot by the Bates and Sierra practice exam book, as well as a self-study CD-ROM produced by Oracle. With that in mind I've been having a look for a suitable book which can assist with the completion of the OCMJD assignment. On this forum I've seen a lot of chat about a book by Monkhouse and Camerlengo ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1590595165 ), but I'm a bit concerned that it has been written for Java SE5, and there doesn't appear to be a new version for Java SE6 yet.

Does this matter? Are there any SE6-specific features that are useful during the assignment that aren't mentioned in the book? Would everyone on here who's read it recommend it?

I have tried using the search function to see if there is any specific discussion on this issue, but I haven't seen any, which would lead me to believe I am worrying over nothing.

Also if anyone has any other book recommendations I would be glad to hear them!

Many thanks

Greenhorn
Notepad Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't read it myself yet, so right now I can't recommend it . But I found this thread for you, which implies that it is still a very, very good resource.

Jonathan Russell
Greenhorn
Oracle Debian Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Marcel van den Boer wrote:I haven't read it myself yet, so right now I can't recommend it . But I found this thread for you, which implies that it is still a very, very good resource.

Great find Marcel, don't know why I didn't see that one...

Must still be recovering from the Easter break...

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, please take a look here. I think it will also be helpful in your preparation!

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And you can also read some stories about ranchers passing this certification at the ScjdWallOfFame.

Jonathan Russell
Greenhorn
Oracle Debian Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roberto Perillo wrote:Also, please take a look here. I think it will also be helpful in your preparation!

Yup have already downloaded that white paper and started to read it. I've also ordered the Monkhouse book, and until I receive it I will probably do some Swing tutorials as it's been a while since I've developed an app that uses it.

Also, cheers for the wall of fame link. Hopefully I'll get my own name up there over the summer!

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jonathan Russell wrote:Also, cheers for the wall of fame link. Hopefully I'll get my own name up there over the summer!

Good luck! And I'm sure you'll do a job and pass this certification

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic