• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Advice required on persuing MTech/MS in Comp Science

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone.
I would graduate in field of electronics within 2 months from now and would like to pursue my Major in comp science.
my dream is to get it from Indian Institute of Technology(IIT, best institute in India) or MS from any other top university.
To enter IIT for MTech programs, everyone has to attempt the Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering(GATE) which is very tough to crack.
I donot know much about MS though.
So if I want to develop strong foundation to crack GATE and equivalent exams with high percentile how shall I prepare?
Kindly advise on the same.
Thank you.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Exams for MTech in IITs/IISc or other colleges which is GATE is totally different than the one for MS in foreign universities which is GRE or TOEFL.

GATE- Would comprise All the subjects you studied in your engineering. So you would have to re-read most of the topics for the same.
GRE- Verbal ability(quite challenging) and Quantitative aptitude(not very difficult)

Higher studies abroad would cost a bit more unless you get a scholarship which would ease the burden of the cost of education. where as the ones obtained from Indian universities is not that expensive. IISc is the best place and for that you would have to be in top 50? (am not too sure about the rank).

1400+ is a good score for GRE. Plus you would need to have some good projects, good references from your professor.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know anything about the GATE, but the US's GRE (graduate record exam) is very similar to the US's SAT, which is an aptitude test, rather than a knowledge test. This means it focuses on how you think, not what you know. For both the SAT and GRE, there are sample test books you can buy to practice on. They can help you calm down since you know the style.

Ashish Schottky
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for replying to both of you.
Another question is, I want to develop with strong understanding of whatever would be taught in the M-course, I repeat, I would be graduating in electronics and not comp science, but I am programing in java from past 2 years.
So I want to be ahead in the class atleast, so preparing that from now on will help me a lot. As experienced members, would you provide some outlines on the same
say for example -" start learning with databases or learn C/C++ so that a xyz subject will be eaiser for you to understand " or "This is a tough subject in sem 1 of M-course, prepare these chapters spend some time on them... " or "refer xyz book for a particular subject." .
Any thing of this sort will be very helpful.
Thank you.

Mohamed Sanaulla
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Computer Science will have these basic courses- Data Structures, Operating Systems, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Databases. So may be you need to be familiar with these. But for people coming from different background you might have a short term prep course or a bridge program to help you get started with the basic concepts.

Pat Farrell
Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:Computer Science will have these basic courses- Data Structures, Operating Systems, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Databases.

At the University where I teach, the graduate CS program uses Operating Systems, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, and Compilers as the three keys. Databases is an optional course. What is covered varies with the instructor, but when I took Operating Systems and Algorithms, neither of these required any programming, they focused on theory. In Compilers, you wrote a compiler. It was a huge programming effort. In Databases, we wrote a RDBMS from scratch.

I think that both Stanford University and MIT have many of their course lectures on youTube.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to do M.TECH in Computer Science then you will have to appear for GATE in Computer Science paper. A bit tough considering that you are from non-computers background but it is achievable.

Good Luck

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For pursuing MS in comp science ,you will have to get a gre score.A good gre score anything above 1400,moderatlley ok 1200-1400 if you have got good recommendations from your professors.

Next thing if you want to do MS in computer science and you are from electrical ,you may have to take some prerequiste courses.A guy i knew from meachanical branch but had 2 years experience in some IT company had to take 5 pre requisites.So 5* tution fees per subject + an extra year to get the degree.This pre requisite changes from college to college ,but i think any good college will definetly ask to take pre requisites courses.

The major factor is money to do MS in USA ,that is if you cannot get a scholarship,even if you get a scholarship monthly expenses in USA is very high when compared to INDIA, .If you are ok with that ,then go for it .But if you are relying on some loan or hoping to get a job when you go there ,then it would be risky.

Then there is a 4C rule ,which means if you get 4 C's you will be kicked out of college,its there in some colleges thats for sure.This is just to inform you ,things like this i hardly doubt any consultancy or even the universitiies to which you are applying will tell.

Dont believe any consultancy services they are thugs ,survey a lot when you choose a university .Check this site msinus.com ,it might be helpful.There are communites in orkut ,they are very helpful as you can get info from the students themselves.

Pat Farrell
Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

nvamsi naki wrote:F.A good gre score anything above 1400,moderatlley ok 1200-1400 if you have got good recommendations from your professors.

The major factor is money to do MS in USA ,that is if you cannot get a scholarship,even if you get a scholarship monthly expenses in USA is very high when compared to INDIA, .If you are ok with that ,then go for it .But if you are relying on some loan or hoping to get a job when you go there ,then it would be risky.

Then there is a 4C rule ,which means if you get 4 C's you will be kicked out of college,its there in some colleges thats for sure.This is just to inform you ,things like this i hardly doubt any consultancy or even the universitiies to which you are applying will tell.

I'm not sure your GRE estimates are right, they could be. Its been 20 years since I took the GRE. I thought that there were three tests, each on a 200-800 point scale. A "good" score would be 600 points in each part, or 1800. A very good score would be 700 on each, or 2100 for the three. If you get 2400, stop reading this, and apply to MIT and Stanford.

Most US universities are not very interested in giving fellowships and GTA/GRA positions to Masters students. (GTA == Graduate Teaching Assistant, GRA == Graduate Research Assistant). Those usually go to the PhD students. If you get "support" then your tuition is free and you get a salary. You won't be rich, but you can live on it.

I tend to agree that saddling yourself with huge loans to get an MS CS has the potential to be a financial disaster.

At the University where I teach, there is a 2C rule. On the second grade of a C, you are asked to withdraw from the program. Thus a C is essentially the same as an F - failure. The thinking is that if you are serious, you will get A's and B's.

nvamsi naki
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
TOEFL -very easy ,i think you need to get above 80 minimum,easy to get.
Read princeton review book ,the tips are very good.They tell you how to prepare for each question ,with examples.

With barrons ,you get a CD ,where you can prepare for tests,vey helpful.

For toefl write more tests,once you read the tips in priceton review .

GRE- Quant is very easy ,basic 12 th class stuff .

Verbal depends on the individual,was very tough for me .Basically training institutes in india will make you memorize 2k-3k words .Some institutes will teach some techniques which may reduce the number to memorize ,but in the end you have to memorize some 1k-2k minimum words.

But do join a training institute they do teach some good shortcuts.

GRE write tests constantly.Barrons is ok ,dont know much about other books.I used to write some free tests online ,lots of free exams on the net

Mohamed Sanaulla
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
nvamsi naki, Welcome to JavaRanch!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic