• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How standalone program interact with JBOSS

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I m trying to connect to datasource from my standalone program to JBOSS. But I m getting the below error:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: commsDSLocal not bound
at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:771)
at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:779)
at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getObject(NamingServer.java:785)
at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.lookup(NamingServer.java:443)

my standalone program is:

I have configured commDSLocal in -ds.xml file in JBOSS and started the JBOSS server but still I m getting this issue.

Please help to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,
Cherry

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What is "commDSLocal"?

First, you need to turn off use-java-context in the *-ds.xml file, and then you need to drop "java:" from the name you arel ooking up. The java: context is valid only for apps running within JBoss AS itself.

For more details, see "Configuring a DataSource for remote usage" at http://community.jboss.org/wiki/ConfigDataSources

Cherry Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Peter for replying.

Now NameNotFoundException has gone.

But now I m getting different exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.naming.Reference cannot be cast to javax.sql.DataSource
at test.DatasourceTest.lookup(Datasource_demo.java:46)
at test.Datasource_demo.main(Datasource_demo.java:80)

I m getting this error when I m trying to convert from Object to DataSource class at below line.
DataSource o=(DataSource)ctx.lookup(name);

Please help!!!

Regards,
Cherry

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Check the jars that you are using. If the JBOSS client jars are from a different version of JBOSS server this type of error comes. I had encountered similar error when my JBOSS server was 5.0.1 and my client jars from 5.1.0

Peter Johnson
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And after you try Manjunatha's suggestion, also try printing out the classname for the object looked up:

Also, use JNDIView to see exactly which name is registered in JNDI. See: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/DisplayTheJDNITreeWithTheJMXConsole

Cherry Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I have checked the jars and they are of same version only.

the result of the below statement is javax.naming.Reference:
System.out.println(obj.getClass().getName());

means its returning javax.naming.Reference

but then how I convert javax.naming.Reference to javax.sql.DataSource?

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Cherry Gupta wrote:Hi,

I have checked the jars and they are of same version only.

How did you check that? How exactly are you setting the classpath of the client application? What jars does it contain? Does it point to JBOSS_HOME/client/jbossall-client.jar? Post the command you use to set the classpath.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Guys,
I am a newbie in the whole java distributed world, so please bear with my ignorance. I had the exact same problem mentioned above (ClassCastException) and I was literrally scouring the web for the last 8 hours for a solution. Dozens of blogs say the same thing, that it has to do with the libraries in your path, but do not say exactly what libraries. Plus most of them are from old Jboss 5.0. I had this problem with Jboss 6 which deals with whole different set of libraries. So I had to do lot of trial and error. Just keep adding missing Jars (aout 20 of them) one at a time and removing ones that caused conflict and see if it hits. Finally after wasting many hours some random combination of libraries did hit which made me happy, but also sad. Here's why.. Are problems in distributed java just like this?, obscure and without much documented or logical approach? I mean, where in Jboss documentation is it mentioned that to do a remote call to jboss you need x, y and z jars and why are those needed ? Is it all just hit, miss and google? Is that how people solve problems in java? I am getting a bit demotivated by this. Would love to hear from veterans on this.

Thanks
Girish

Peter Johnson
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In ages past (oh, a year ago or so) the typical remote client would include client/jboss-all.jar in the classpath. That usually covered everything that the client needed. In 4.2.x and earlier, tat JAR contained all the classes; starting with 5.0.0 that JAR contained no classes and instead referenced the other JAR files in the client directory.

But including all those classes all the time was not always a good idea, especially if you are trying to trim down the amount of space your client takes. Nowadays, JBoss Tattletale can be used to determine the JAR file dependencies so that you will know exactly which JAR files need to be included in your client. Tatttletale beats the old "run it until it complains about a missing class and then hunt up its JAR file" strategy.

Stop it! You're embarassing me! And you are embarrassing this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic