Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Oracle has screwed up Sun certification system once again

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Most of you probably already know about Oracle SCJP changes, more expensive, higher passing score, less time..etc

But this time Oracle started messing with next level certification of SCJD in a really bad way, get this, effective October this year, all SCJD seeker will have to pay Oracle extra 2,250-3,250$ before they can get their certificates.
Any one taking SCJD is obligated to take at least one Java course as a mandatory requirement, and the cost of these classes ranges between 2,250 and 3,250$, this "improvement" seems to me pure non-sense and profit thing only, look at the list of the exams that you MUST take one of them if you want this certificate,

Java Programming Language, Java SE 6
Fundamentals of the Java Programming Language, Java SE 6
Developing Applications With the Java SE 6 Platform
Object-Oriented Analysis and Design Using UML
Java SE Performance Tuning
Java Programming I (Japan Only)

So, let me get this straight, if you are trying to be a recognized java developer, you not only have to be a certified programmer first -Sun requirement- but you also need to take a mandatory class about (Fundamentals of the Java Programming Language) -Oracle requirement-, for 2,250$, does that make sense to you? What the

Or may be you might be interested in not wasting your time/money and go for something that can actually be useful and related like (Developing Applications With the Java SE 6 Platform) course but ohh its going to cost you 3,250$ this one.

Whats really bothering me, some of these classes actually come with an affordable buying options, e.g. (Developing Applications With the Java SE 6 Platform) can be bought as a Self Study Online course for 840$, so you can study it your self, but wait! that is unacceptable, you must buy the option labeled "Instructor-Led Training" or the one labeled "Live Virtual Class" which they both cost 3,250$.
I was planning to get this certificate by my self, since they don't support this at work, but no way, no way I can come up with extra 2,250$ and waste it on learning (Fundamentals of the Java Programming Language) which is something I learned long time ago when I got my Associate certificate.

Would be nice to see some other opinions,

Source: Click Here

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We have a sticky thread about this topic, so locking this one.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic