• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Mobile app development general question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We are planing to develop an app for two platforms, iPhone and Android. I have question regarding that.

- Is it possible to use same set of webservices to feed data to both devices as the app is going to be same? I guess a point to consider here is processing power, internal memory etc. On one end we have iPhone. Period. but on other end we have whole lot of Android devices. How do you guys handle it?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I have a web service on the server side, I have it to support whoever wants to call it, whether it is a Swing, VB 6.0, .net, web site, iPhone, Windows Phone, Cobol app, Android phone. Anyone.

the data returned from the web service could be anything I like, xml, json, byte[]. Then the clients just have to convert it. Most if not all development languages can read xml, json.

Mark

Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you think different processing power, internal memory etc. make any difference?

Thank you Mark.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Saurabh Pillai wrote:Do you think different processing power, internal memory etc. make any difference?

Thank you Mark.

How do you mean? On the devices? On the server side? Both are different things. Service Side has nothing to do with any devices or clients.

For devices making Web Service requests are available on all those devices done very simply, don't really see how processing power or internal memory has any difference, specifically to calling and consuming a web service.

Mark

Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mark Spritzler wrote:
For devices making Web Service requests are available on all those devices done very simply, don't really see how processing power or internal memory has any difference, specifically to calling and consuming a web service.

Mark

Yeah actually I was wondering if it makes any speed difference in processing received data and rendering a screen on mobile devices. but from your answer it looks like it does not.

Thank you.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Saurabh Pillai wrote:

Mark Spritzler wrote:

Mark

Yeah actually I was wondering if it makes any speed difference in processing received data and rendering a screen on mobile devices. but from your answer it looks like it does not.

Thank you.

Yes and no, but it isn't necessarily specific related to an iPhone or an Android phone, but a developer doing it incorrectly that might cause a performance problem. Typically these web services calls will be done asynchronously from the device so the perception of wait isn't there. If you make a web service that passes back tons and tons of data, of course it will be slow because of bandwidth and network IO and maybe even File IO. But it is no different than you would see in a StandAlone Java Swing, or Java based Web site, or command line Java application.

Mark
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic