• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Best Technology to creat Java Desktop Application (Eclipse RCP Vs. AWT or swing)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear All,

I am going to write a Java Desktop application for my RFID project. I am thinking which one is better to use:

1- Swing/Applet : No future so am scaring, SUN stuffed further enhancement.
2- Eclipse RCP: Difficult to write as compared to swing/applet.

Please suggest which one best to do in this situation.

Normally I am into J2EE and web applications, stepping into Java Desktop application.

Many thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The string you are asking about is about 42 characters long. Unless it is Friday... ;)

To actually give you a good answer on that question, we would need to know a lot more about the project. If it is just a small test- or configuration application, I think I would go for the Swing-solution. If it is a more complex client that will be extended, I would opt for a framework like Eclipse RCP or Netbeans Platform.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If your going the way of SWING awt/swt, IMO Visual Editor for Eclipse is very useful to build out your GUI components, especially if your new to SWING.

http://eclipse.dzone.com/announcements/visual-swing-designer-eclipse

You can quickly construct GUI components, then action listeners/handlers...

My two cents though.

Marshal
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are new to Swing, you will never learn it with a creator. You end up with code you haven't written, and don't know what it means.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If you are new to Swing, you will never learn it with a creator. You end up with code you haven't written, and don't know what it means.

Beware - this is true... i used NetBeans to generate UI code for Swing... and later felt very difficult to modify the code it generated using GroupLayout...

Philip Thamaravelil
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Everyone learns differently. An overwhelming majority of people learn by example.

Swing has a robust API and learning all the different GUI objects is a bit of a challenge at first. Having all the objects available to you in a drag-and-drop pallet is very convenient for learning what's available.

The creator creates the GUI components, action listeners and object arrangement; nothing more. It allows the user to focus on what's important: Business logic, not placement of objects in containers.

Who honestly hand-writes layouts now-a-days anyway?

Though, you do have a point. It's certainly important to understand how the components work long-term and not be spoiled by the creator indefinately.

Philip Thamaravelil
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JavaFX is good too.

Rudra Narayan Garnaik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many thanks all of you.

My Application is for RFID solution which will manage the RFID Readers(ADD Adaptor, ADD Reader, Manager Reader). I want to make it as a product. In future it will grow like anything. The application is quite complex and minimum of 100 functionality( Database management, File Management, network management, LLRP support...).

That way I am thinking to go for Eclipse RCP. Yesterday whole day I spend on this technology selection.

If anybody have any good Idea please suggest.

SWT/AWT - Learning is easy but no future as SUN stopped future development of it. The guy who was leading the project left SUN...that's end of Applets/AWT/SWING. NetBean platform I dont know what exactly? it that based on swing or applets ?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Philip Thamaravelil wrote:.. It allows the user to focus on what's important: Business logic, not placement of objects in containers.

You seem to forget, in most of the cases, the UI is the end product for the user. He is not aware nor cares about what is happening behind the scenes. Usability is a very important thing in any product (not just software).

Philip Thamaravelil wrote:
Who honestly hand-writes layouts now-a-days anyway?

I do. Been doing it by hand for last 10 years. And I know many people who do the same.
Hand coding might seem complicated and time consuming at the beginning. Once you get the hang of it, nothing could be more simpler.
Try creating a moderately complex UI using a visual builder. Then take a look at the code mess. Then try importing the code into some other IDE. Try creating custom framework components and reusing them.

Philip Thamaravelil
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh,
You seem to be missing the point. I can also argue your 'hand-coded' UI is about as useful as a calculator that doesn't do addition. It's nothing more than a bunch of pretty buttons and lights that does nothing useful without a business layer.

No one is saying a UI creator is the "end-all-solution" to creating SWING apps, I have been writing swings apps for over 10 years.. I suggest looking at the latest versions of creators.. They have significantly improved over the last 10 years, and I have had little issue importing between IDE's or implementing with custom frameworks.

You have proven my point:

Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Hand coding might seem complicated and time consuming at the beginning. Once you get the hang of it....

The OP is searching for the "Best Technology to create Java Desktop Applications.." Using a creator allows him to quickly evaluate the api's and limitations of SWING without a significant investment of time. To quickly build a proof-of-concept without ever looking up an API reference.

Whether you like creators or not, they have a place and a usefulness..

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic