• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Graphics in NetBeans IDE

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So it's been recommended to me that I use NetBeans IDE for ease of use in GUI-Swing stuff, and thus I have been working on figuring it out. It is not intuitive for me, at least, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Does anyone here know how to draw graphics primitives on bean/module containers or other swing elements? Am I fundamentally misunderstanding something again? Should I go back to typing text files and compiling them myself?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I strongly recommend not using the NetBeans visual designer until you attain a proficiency in Swing coding that qualifies you to read and understand the gobbledygook it generates.

Turn to the Swing tutorials to learn the correct way of Performing Custom Painting. What are "graphics primitives" in your terminology?

Should I go back to typing text files and compiling them myself?

It doesn't take long to learn (and appreciate) the NetBeans code editor features. You'll immediately find the code completion and error highlighting useful, and before long you'll be adding your own code templates etc. to increase your productivity.

And since this is GUI related, I'll move it to the appropriate forum.

J R Hatch
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darryl Burke wrote:I strongly recommend not using the NetBeans visual designer until you attain a proficiency in Swing coding that qualifies you to read and understand the gobbledygook it generates.

Turn to the Swing tutorials to learn the correct way of Performing Custom Painting.

That makes sense; it was a shortcut. Lazy me.

Darryl Burke wrote:

What are "graphics primitives" in your terminology?

I got that term from the java tutorials; geometric primitives are also called graphic primitives on at least one of their pages, if not more.

Darryl Burke wrote:

Should I go back to typing text files and compiling them myself?

It doesn't take long to learn (and appreciate) the NetBeans code editor features. You'll immediately find the code completion and error highlighting useful, and before long you'll be adding your own code templates etc. to increase your productivity.

Yeah, but I should use them after I've learned stuff for myself.

Darryl Burke wrote:

And since this is GUI related, I'll move it to the appropriate forum.

I'll mark it as resolved anyway.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic