• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Application In the VM

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I develop my application at the desktop; but the IDE used to build the develop the application and the the application communicates with are in a VM. Communication with the database and IDE occurs through the internet (cloud). Once a create jar file for deployment; I would lile to store it in a fodler in the VM where all the users in my office can deploy it. Will several uses be able to run the same application at the same time from the same folder to work in the database simultaneously or should each user have its own jar file stored in the PC?

Thank you

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, neither of those. If you want to deploy an application to many users, even if they are all in the same office, you should consider using JNLP (Java Web Start) to do that.

In any case, whether they run the application via JNLP or from a mapped drive (was that what you meant?), the application will be running in a separate JVM on each separate user's computer.

Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you,

Could you explain a little bit more?

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you asked a question I could try to answer it; asking for "more information" isn't very practical because it's impossible to tell what you thought was missing from the original.

Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you. I am referring to the following; you suggested JNLP (Java Web Start); but I am not sure if this is mandatory or if I could deploy it in the VM first so that users can start using it, and later on when I am more knowledgeable in java web start, deploy it through java web start.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic