• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Unable to load class to check against the @HandlesTypes annotation

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm hoping that I've posted this in the correct forum - it was a little hard to figure out which specific area it belonged to. I've developed a JAX-RS web service (using Jersey implementation) that I'm deploying to Tomcat 7.0.22. Immediately after deployment, I see around 75+ warning messages that look like the following:

Oct 19, 2011 10:09:21 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig checkHandlesTypes
WARNING: Unable to load class [com.sun.codemodel.JArrayClass$1] to check against the @HandlesTypes annotation of one or more ServletContentInitializers.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.codemodel.JArrayClass$1
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1676)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1521)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.checkHandlesTypes(ContextConfig.java:1969)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsStream(ContextConfig.java:1932)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsJar(ContextConfig.java:1826)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsUrl(ContextConfig.java:1785)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotations(ContextConfig.java:1771)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(ContextConfig.java:1254)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:881)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:316)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:89)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5103)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:145)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:812)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:787)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:607)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:932)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:723)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1363)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:294)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:89)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1391)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1401)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I've checked and all the classes (mostly JAXB ones) that Tomcat is complaining about can be found in JAR files within the classpath (WEB-INF/lib) which was set up in Eclipse. Just to test things out I created a test dynamic web project using JAX-RS in Eclipse and found that the warnings started when I added jaxb-xjc.jar to the classpath. I've found one workaround - if I change the web-app version to "2.5" in the web.xml file the warnings disappear. However, I'd really like to find a way to use Servlet version 3.0, if possible. See my web.xml file below:

Brian Lewis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Turns out that the jaxb-xjc.jar file wasn't needed for deployment, so I just removed it from the classpath, which took care of the warning messages.

Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to CodeRanch, Brian Lewis!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brian,

Thanks for solving this. I had the same problem. I hate it when the stack trace has absolutely no reference to any code I wrote!
This was bothering me almost to the point of figuring it out myself!

Thanks again.

Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Mac TypeScript Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And welcome to CodeRanch, J Oliver!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic