• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

[Again]RESTful WS Enterprise

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello!

I'm a "RESTful fan" and I have been working and studing it since RESTful WebServices book, which I believe was the book that marks the start of the "RESTful popularization".

Again about RESTful enterprise. Do you believe that REST WS will someday dominate enterprise world?

I mean, I know that REstful WS are now being used in a lot of enterprise products, but we don'thave something like WSRP for REST instead using SOAP (for example).

I also heard about REST-*, something like that, that would the equivalent of the WS-* patterns, but for REST, but it was not very popular (Roy didn't liked that, so the community...)

I also knows that we have books focused in REST real world applications (e.g. REST in Practice), but I still see that the adoption of REST in this field is not very huge as expected.

Developers still likes the stateful model(and rest is entirely stateless) with session, etc,etc

Ranch Hand
Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think this is a very broad question. Enterprise world is always under stress to complete the task onetime and using REST vs Session is more of architecture decision then a developer decision. If you use REST then there are many architecture challenges to resolve in a context of relatively small application. I believe that is one of the main reason why restful services are not used. However more and more companies absorbing HTML5 and jQuery and cloud model. May be next 5 year we will be there.

-Jignesh

William Antônio Siqueira
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

However more and more companies absorbing HTML5 and jQuery and cloud model. May be next 5 year we will be there.

I agree with you in this part. Sure REST is more suitable for WEB and HTML, JQuery, etc.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic