• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problem while using session for transferring huge data from controller to session

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear All,

I need a clarification. We are using MVC architecture for servlet based web application. In my module I have used session to store huge data (of 60 rows and 20 columns from db table) and in the jsp, paining the same object. The situation is, I am not removing the session object in jsp because client may refresh the jsp.

This is all about one module the same for other modules too.

• Will this cause any issue when many clients access the site?
  • Will this root out of memory error?

• If so what other logic, I can use to achieve the same. Please guide me.

Note: Using MVC, Jsp we are using for display purpose, in servlet getting the data setting to session and in jsp taking and using the same.

Regards,
    Mohanasundar
    Senior Software Engineer

Saloon Keeper
    Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Report post to moderator
    I'm not sure that 60x20=240 data elements is what most of us would call "huge" data, but it depends on the data and on the number of active users. Also, if the data is read-mostly and shared between users, application scope is a better place to keep it than session scope.

For truly huge data - say 6000 rows x 20 columns, the common practice is not to keep the data in the session object at all. Instead, the controller would re-fetch as much of that data as would be output on the current page display. Which, if you have any consideration for the watering eyes of the users would only be about 20 rows or so at a time.

Refetching the data might seem slow, but Enterprise Java and Enterprise DBMS's have been crafted to afford efficiencies. Most of the major DBMS's, both open-source and commercial, will cache query requests so that they can handle repeated queries without all the overhead of building them up from scratch. That's especially true when using Prepared Statements.

On the J2EE server side there are also cache mechanisms. In addition to hand-managed caching, the ORM systems are popular in large part because they can transparently cache queries automatically, as well as managing updates in an efficient and cache-aware way.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic