• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IBM RUP is still used in the industry?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I got some introduction on RUP, so looking for taking the certification:IBM Certified Solution Designer - IBM Rational Unified Process V7.0
But heard that agile and scrum methodologies are getting more popular now than RUP.
Can anybody confirm me that the RUP is not outdated and RUP is still used in the industry?
When considering the agile-scrum certifications, should I go for RUP certification?

Please tell me whether taking of RUP certification now (when reaching 2012) is a good or bad move.

Regards,
Smitha

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Smitha,

The RUP is certainly used and will be used in future. Moreover the agile's iterative development is based on RUP since RUP also encourages iterative and incremental development. I strongly belive that Agile and RUP goes hand in hand good methodologies. However Agile puts more emphasis on 'construction' phase of the project by defining product backlog, iteration backlog and unit testing etc. RUP is more process oriented and has phases starting from inception, eloboration, construction and transition.

You can do RUP and Agile certifications, both are good and there are many companies adopting to either RUP or Agile or even to traditional SDLC Waterfall approach.

Smitha Kathy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I got several study materials for RUP. However I am not sure whether those tutorials I am referring to are of correct latest version of RUP because most of them were prepared 6 years before.
would you please tell me when was the latest RUP version released, so that I can look into the tutorials created after the last update of RUP.

I got two popular e-books (mentioned below), both published in 2003.
* Rational Unified Process, The: An Introduction, Third Edition. By Philippe Kruchten 2003
* Rational Unified Process Made Easy: A Practitioner's Guide to the RUP, The. By Per Kroll, Philippe Kruchten, 2003

Does it mean that after 2003 there was no change implemented on RUP certification or process?
If yes, please confirm that the above books are sufficient to cover all parts of RUP.

Regards,
Smitha

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Book:

IBM Rational Unified Process Reference and Certification Guide (Solution Designer)
IBM Rational Unified Process Reference and Certification Guide: Solution Designer (RUP)

You also need to go through the documentation of the product - Rational Method Composer V7.x

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic