• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can't find the right framework. Creating a single page app, with dynamic forms

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
OK, so I am still a Rich Client type of guy. I don't like request for one page, then request for another page where only the form in the middle content section is what is different. So I was thinking with Html5, CSS3, Javascript/JQuery, I can finally write a really cool looking single page app. So I go through my typical Java Web Frameworks that I like to use. Grails, Spring Roo, Spring MVC, etc. And a couple of others out there like Vaadin and Play. I liked Play, but not sure how to run it on the web without going to one of the expensive providers out there that support Play. Spring Roo has too much coupling to Dojo, and Grails I like, but I don't think it will work.

I really have only basic crud stuff and the database I am using is Neo4J, which is a No SQL database.

What I am really looking for is a really clean separation of client from serverside. I really would like all the communications from client to server be done via REST calls with JSON. I am not quite sure how to handle an empty form, then submitting the json to the server side which then generates my domain object, I know how to map and use Jackson, but the form will have 4 fields but not the overall main domain object that the 4 fields come from, so I am not sure if I have to wrap the 4 fields with one map holding one map. Anyway, that is the least of my worries.

What is out there that won't require me to learn a whole new language or couple my code or client html to any particular framework? I am looking for simplicity. I have to spend my learning curve on CSS3 and Javascript/jquery.

Thanks

Mark

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mark Spritzler wrote:I liked Play, but not sure how to run it on the web without going to one of the expensive providers out there that support Play.

Not necessarily advocating Play, but Play will spit out a war file that can be deployed on any old servlet container. No provider support is required.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not sure exactly what you're looking for. I seem to attain what you are looking for with jQuery on the client and Play or Front Man on the server. Complete separation aside from agreement on the web API. What more are you looking for?

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What about Bowler/Scalatra and JavaScriptMVC/Ember.js combination?
(Assuming Scala is ok as the programming language of choice).

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:Not sure exactly what you're looking for. I seem to attain what you are looking for with jQuery on the client and Play or Front Man on the server. Complete separation aside from agreement on the web API. What more are you looking for?

I am looking for complexity and coolness in functionality, with simpleness on development. To use standards or the most popular tools out there without coupling myself to any one, in case they go away. So just HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery on the front end, and simple Java where I can find lot of places to deploy cheaply and go live for the server side.

Part of me was thinking make the server side all REST, so one Tomcat with REST apis and Java. Then on a completely different server serving straight HTML with Javascript making calls to the REST stuff.

Thanks

I have never looked at your frontman, maybe that will work for me. But how much coupling happens in using frontman. Any classes I have to extend or implement?

Mark

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hussein Baghdadi wrote:What about Bowler/Scalatra and JavaScriptMVC/Ember.js combination?
(Assuming Scala is ok as the programming language of choice).

Bowler has you extend classes, so those classes are too coupled to Bowler. Plus I don't know Scala, don't want to learn another language, I know Java and Groovy, and shouldn't need to learn a whole new language first.

I like EmberJS, very much like an approach I was thinking about. I also heard of extjs, nodejs, and Spring has one being created by a friend of mine. I think at some point I might get up to this level, but right now, my site is really simple, just can't get the UI and server side connected nicely.

Thanks

Mark

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Coupling to what? Absolutely none as far as the client is concerned. Obviously how your write your Java classes is affected. But if you're looking for minimal, Front Man might be the ticket.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Scala needs to get a lot more, and mean a lot more, mainstream acceptance before I'll take the time to learn it.

What a stench! Central nervous system shutting down. Save yourself tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic