• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Big RequestParameters from JSP.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi all
I have a display table in my jsp. In this table one column is clickable and clicking this sends 2 request parameters (ReasonsText and account)to my spring controller.
And i am creating links using Decoratros.
But there could be cases when first request paramter(reasonsText) can be extra large.It fails in that case .Is there any alternative to that?
I tried finding something in my database tables which i could use in place of reasonsText(like reason ID) but i use group by on reasonsText so i couldnot use id.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please be sure to ask Spring questions in the Spring forum. I have moved this post there for you.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Remember that request URL with parameters have a length limitation. Typically it is better to have that submitted through a form, I would think. So that it ends up in the body of the request instead of as a request parameter. Or you can limit the amount of text the user can type in so that it doesn't reach the request parameter limitation.

Mark

Lucky J Verma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Mark ,
Thanks for help.
Can you please give me an example on how to send data to @RequestBody for <display:table> column?
Adding it in form and then i use Will it automatically go to @RequestBody and not @RequestParam
. And data is sent in
string.
Also i tried sneding POST data -by adding hidden fields to display:column and no which is not working .Since variables contain duplicated comma separated values
and no hint of what value was user-selected.
Furthur research taught me ts limitation of sending POST values.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Lucky J Verma wrote:
Hi Mark ,
Thanks for help.
Can you please give me an example on how to send data to @RequestBody for <display:table> column?
Adding it in form and then i use Will it automatically go to @RequestBody and not @RequestParam
. And data is sent in
string.
Also i tried sneding POST data -by adding hidden fields to display:column and no
which is not working .Since variables contain duplicated comma separated values
and no hint of what value was user-selected.
Furthur research taught me ts limitation of sending POST values.

That's not what he's talking about.

A GET sends parameters in the request URL. A POST sends parameters in the body of the request. Because the length of a URL is restricted the length of the parameters is inherently limited. If you need to send a lot of data through a parameter, or even just a lot of parameters,
you should prefer using POST as it's less likely to run into the length issues.

@RequestParam works for both. @RequestBody has nothing to do with it.

If you're getting a comma separated value it means that the parameter was included more than once. Look at your form and request URL and ensure you haven't submitted the value in two different places at the same time. If you're expecting multiple values for a parameter then it should probably be a List.

knowledge is the difference between drudgery and strategic action -- tiny ad
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic