• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

distributed application in Spring

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As per my knowledge, Application Server handles all the load balancing, failover kind of stuff in the distributed application..

then how working in clustered environment is different if we are using Spring instead of EJB? Do we require to do some extra configuration or coding in Spring? why some people say, EJB is more suitable for distributed environment?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

EJB is more suitable for distributed environment

Who said that? any reference/context in which you read that?

vikas sharmaa
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
no Sam, I didnt find reference to what i said in the first post about distributed application.

still, my main question is how Spring implementation is different in distributed application (or there is no difference?)..

for example, i have written an application that is running perfectly on the server. later, I added 2 more nodes using clustering in weblogic. now, do i require to do any changes in spring configuration or code... or, it will automatically take advantage of clustering.

Saifuddin Merchant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've not really worked a lot on EJB's or clustering for that matter, so I'm going to have too pass out this questions ..

I did find a lot of material when I googled for ejb v s spring and ejb Distributed Computing. Give it a try!

clojure forum advocate
Mac Objective C Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sam Mercs wrote:

EJB is more suitable for distributed environment

Who said that? any reference/context in which you read that?

Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) technology is the server-side component architecture for Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE). EJB technology enables rapid and simplified development of distributed, transactional, secure and portable applications based on Java technology.

Enterprise JavaBeans Technology

Saifuddin Merchant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hussein - I agree EJB is useful for

development of distributed, transactional, secure and portable applications based on Java technology.

The original question & even mine was for the more. Is EJB more suited for distributed computing compared to Spring?

From what I know Spring is a pretty good replacement for EJB supporting (most/all) EJB features in a more simplified manner.
I personally haven't worked on any EJB to Spring migration or distributed computing features of either. So I don't have any first hand experience to talk about the topic.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, and EJBs don't do distributed applications themselves either. Meaning it is the server that is responsible, and you can run Spring anywhere in any server, and even Tomcat can do clustering. If you write clean POJO classes then they can run in distributed environments with no code change at all. It is all about your servers configuration, not your applications. That is why I said EJBs don't do distributed/clustering, because EJBs are the code, not the server. Now to be an EJB container following the spec, then you have more than just code, but that is J2EE stuff in which EJB is just one part of the spec.

So, the answer is Yes, Spring can run in a distributed environment without any code changes or repackaging. It runs the same regardless of what environment it is running in.

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic