• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

question on import statement

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi -

I know we can use static import to for static methods and variables. I tried to import instance members in the same fashion static import and as expected it gave compiler error. But when use this import package2.TestClass.*; compiler didn't complain anything and I'm not able to the import class even. Any specific use with this kind of import package.class.* ?

Regards,

Ravi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!

Static import is used only and only for static things. You can import static methods or static attributes. With static import you can not import anything else. You can not import instance methods or attributes. That's the rule and you have to memorize it.

With the non static import you can import just concrete Types (for instance: import java.util.List) or all the types from a certain package (for instance: import java.util.*).

There are no other ways to use import. You can not import instance members or methods.

Have a good day, Vadim.

Ravi KumarJd
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great answer - Thank you. I agree with you we cannot import instance methods or attributes directly with import statement. I wondered why the compiler not stopping me, when I append .* after a concrete class. If I understand correctly, for non static concrete Types/classes it's NOT better to append .* after the class name though the compiler okay.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ravi KumarJd wrote:Great answer - Thank you. I agree with you we cannot import instance methods or attributes directly with import statement. I wondered why the compiler not stopping me, when I append .* after a concrete class. If I understand correctly, for non static concrete Types/classes it's NOT better to append .* after the class name though the compiler okay.

If TestClass contained a static nested class or an enum, you could have imported them (as types) with import package2.TestClass.*;

Ravi KumarJd
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This really makes sense and answers my question. Thanks Sanyal

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic