• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WebSphere MIME type(video/mp4) under Windows Server 2003(IIS 7.5):video not playing iPhone/android

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am deploying a strut application in WebSphere that serves a MP4 file. As per the requirement I have added this MIME type (video/mp4) to the virtual host of my application(that was also being added at 'virtualhost.xml').

But when we are accessing that mp4 file from mobile browser(iphone/android)it cannot play the video although when we use desktop browser it is playing that mp4 video. By the way WebSphere is running on Windows Server 2003 (IIS 7.5) and I have also added video/mp4 MIME type in the IIS 7.5. Also restarted the server and all other necessary thing must be done.

I have done all the tweaking/experimenting possible(all suggestions from forums and IBM documentation) but was stuck in this for last 4 days. Can you please help me on this?

I am eagerly waiting for your valued response.

Sridip Banerjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Someone please help...

Sridip Banerjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I thought that this is a good forum...where people help each other!!! anyway still waiting....if somebody knows any solution to this...

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have you already determined that those devices can play MP4 videos from other sites?

Sridip Banerjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Paul for the reply.

Yes iphone or android both can play mp4. To test that I have written a simple application hosted by IIS that was being successfully played by iphone and android.

But when the WebSphere come into picture, the problem starts then. That mp4 was served by both IIS and WebSphere, as I have mentioned before that we are running WebSphere under a Windows Server 2008(IIS 7.5).

Please suggest what do you think might cause this issue. Thanks beforehand.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried running the Websphere from Cent OS and no success. I think the mime type rendering is creating the problem. I'm using Websphere portal 7.0.0.2 . I also tried 6.1.5 but same issue. But if I play a video present at different server(src value is pointing to a video location online). Then video is getting rendered. I feel IBM needs to look at it.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic