• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Static method related doubts

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Notepad Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

• I can use startCar() in main method ,is it mean we can inherit static method but can't override.Am i right ?
  • I don't like this code really , super.startCar() , i know that super keyword is used to call overridden method version of superclass but as universal truth we can't override static method then why it is working here, what is the wrong with java ?
  •  
    Sheriff
    Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    There is nothing wrong with Java

You can call a static method on an instance of a class although its not recommended. Due to this reason you can call a static method on this or super references. You are right that static methods are inherited but they can't be overridden...

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Ankit Garg wrote:There is nothing wrong with Java

You can call a static method on an instance of a class although its not recommended. Due to this reason you can call a static method on this or super references. You are right that static methods are inherited but they can't be overridden...

Oh come on ,java gives us lecture that make your classes cohesive then what is java doing ?, super is used to call overridden method, where as in context of static method there is no overriding then why anyone like to use super here ? why don't we use directly startCar() or this.startCar() or obj.startCar().It doesn't give fake impression of overriding in static context ? [super.startCar()]

Bartender
    • Likes 2
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    You seem to be blaming Java for the fact that you aren't using the correct approach, which is Car.startCar().

It's true that it's a bit unfortunate that Java allows you to call static methods on an object reference, when you should never do that. If they were designing this feature now I suspect it would be changed, but this dates back to Java 1.0 and it would be too big an impact to change it now (because of the number of people who have already written code doing it wrong ).

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Matthew Brown wrote:You seem to be blaming Java for the fact that you aren't using the correct approach, which is Car.startCar().

It's true that it's a bit unfortunate that Java allows you to call static methods on an object reference, when you should never do that. If they were designing this feature now I suspect it would be changed, but this dates back to Java 1.0 and it would be too big an impact to change it now (because of the number of people who have already written code doing it wrong ).

Thanks Matthew, Can you tell me mystery of super keyword.

Ranch Hand
    Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    that's a bit unfortunate that java allows you to call static methods on instance variables(including this and super reference). also static methods cannot be overridden though they are inherited. Consider the following code listings.

the above code will produce following output :

The class method in Animal.
    The instance method in Cat.
    The class method in Animal.
    The class method in Cat

the important thing about this is the line labelled as label a and label b. myAnimal.testClassMethod() will invoke the static method of animal class because myAnimal is of type Animal(although it is referring to cat object). internally it gets replace with Animal.testClassMethod(). Similarly mycat.testClassMethod() gets replaced with Cat.testClassMethod(). Please guys correct me whereever i'm wrong.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

i know that super keyword is used to call overridden method version of superclass but as universal truth we can't override static method then why it is working here, what is the wrong with java ?

It is not possible to override static method. But it is possible to hide the static method by defining another method with the same signature in the subclass. So actually we can call the supper class static method by invoking SUPER_CLASS.staticMethod() or superClassINstance.staticMethod() or super.staticMethod() in subclass.

Even if you write superClassINstance.staticMethod() , compiler will change it to SUPER_CLASS.staticMethod().

Thanks,
    Raj

Ranch Hand
    Android MyEclipse IDE Windows XP
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:

Oh come on ,java gives us lecture that make your classes cohesive then what is java doing ?, super is used to call overridden method, where as in context of static method there is no overriding then why anyone like to use super here ? why don't we use directly startCar() or this.startCar() or obj.startCar().It doesn't give fake impression of overriding in static context ? [super.startCar()]

ok i have one doubt on this thread., without static keyword what will happen in java..?
    your question is good but you should analyse all the face ok.

I just want to access a method in class one . so i created that as static . i think you know very well about static , before instance creation itself static block will load,
    or if you want to override mean please be that method as normal only.

Matthew Brown
    Bartender
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:Thanks Matthew, Can you tell me mystery of super keyword.

Well, as I said, it's (unfortunately) legal to call a static method on a reference of that class. Within the Limo class, super is effectively a reference to the Car class. So allowing the calling of a static method on it is just being consistent.

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

raj malhotra wrote:

i know that super keyword is used to call overridden method version of superclass but as universal truth we can't override static method then why it is working here, what is the wrong with java ?

It is not possible to override static method. But it is possible to hide the static method by defining another method with the same signature in the subclass. So actually we can call the supper class static method by invoking SUPER_CLASS.staticMethod() or superClassINstance.staticMethod() or super.staticMethod() in subclass.

Even if you write superClassINstance.staticMethod() , compiler will change it to SUPER_CLASS.staticMethod().

Thanks,
    Raj

That is called redefining method not hiding.

Matthew Brown
    Bartender
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

saloni jhanwar wrote:That is called redefining method not hiding.

No, it's definitely hiding.

The super-class version can still be called, using the class name. But calling it just by name in the subclass will call the subclass version, as the superclass version is now "hidden".

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Arunkumar Chinnadurai wrote:

saloni jhanwar wrote:

ok i have one doubt on this thread., without static keyword what will happen in java..?
    your question is good but you should analyse all the face ok.

I just want to access a method in class one . so i created that as static . i think you know very well about static , before instance creation itself static block will load,
    or if you want to override mean please be that method as normal only.

I don't know your answer is about what anyway thanks.

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Matthew Brown wrote:

saloni jhanwar wrote:Thanks Matthew, Can you tell me mystery of super keyword.

Well, as I said, it's (unfortunately) legal to call a static method on a reference of that class. Within the Limo class, super is effectively a reference to the Car class. So allowing the calling of a static method on it is just being consistent.

Thanks Matthew

saloni jhanwar
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Matthew Brown wrote:

saloni jhanwar wrote:That is called redefining method not hiding.

No, it's definitely hiding.

The super-class version can still be called, using the class name. But calling it just by name in the subclass will call the subclass version, as the superclass version is now "hidden".

Thanks Matthew , in K&B for this "redefining" word is used but now i got that .

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic