• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Contributing to the project.. Read First

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well, I don't have the documentation explaining in details how things are done in JForum's source code.. The development model isn't hard to understand.. it is just a MVC system, with things separated and blablabla..

If you REALLY want to help, the best tip I have to you in the momment is: get the source and begin looking there.. navigate, test things and give a try to code..

If you have doubts about something, create a topic and explain your problem, that I'll ( or somebody else, I hope hehe ) try to anwser as soon I can.

Thanks,
Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How stable is the HEAD in CVS?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Generally, the cvs version will run without compiler errors or broken functionalities. But, as it is under development, some features may be partially implemented, for example..

Rafael

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rafael Steil wrote:
If you have doubts about something, create a topic and explain your problem, that I'll ( or somebody else, I hope hehe ) try to anwser as soon I can.

OK, here they are: we're starting to develop the pages for the Ṣo Jos̩ dos Campos Java Users Group, and want to use JForum not only as a forum but as basis for other projects as well.

Two small projects we want to do is a voting system for registered users (which will be used for voting on mini-courses themes, etc.) and one inscription system (for when we have events, etc.) - I don't really want to create this stuff from scratch, would rather use what is ready for JForum, and, if it works, why not donate the code?

I guess I will be developing most of those changes, but I don't really understand CVS (not the tool, but the methodology) - for example, suppose I download the code via CVS, make some changes that I want and then commit it - will those changes (bugs and all) be propagated to the other users? Will my changes be overwritten when I download the CVS code again?

Or can I just write the code so there won't be changes to the already existing code, but additions, will this be better for later commitment?

Any hint most welcome.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Santos]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are a registered project developer ( for example, you role in jforum's cvs is "Developer" ), then you always is in sync with the repository. For example, you get the latest version from, make some changes, and then commit these changes back to the repository. You code is not overriden.

However, if you doesn't have developer access - which means that you access the cvs using an anoymous or non-privileged user ), then all changes you make in you machine will be overriden if, and only if, you explicity replace your local files ( for example, by downloading from the cvs again and putting the files in the same place you made the changes ).

Rafael

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How can I be a registered project developer :?:

Regards,
James Yong
[originally posted on jforum.net by jamesyong]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, you must be a http://www.java.net registered user. Then, go to http://jforum.dev.java.net and ask the "Developer" role.

Rafael

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ṇo rola um leia-me em pt-br?
[originally posted on jforum.net by Anonymous]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anonymous wrote:Ṇo rola um leia-me em pt-br?

Rolar rola.. O que vc tem em mente? ajuda eh sempre bem vinda ;)

Rafael

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi there,

I am a quite new (and happy) user of JForum. I'd like to add a few features (and fix a few bugs), and as you're never better served than by yourself, I'll make them on my own. I have a few questions there:

1. Do you prefer people to register as developers from the start or just starting by submitting patches in the forum?

2. As far as bugfixes are concerned, which bugs should one start with? How do I know noone is working on one already? I usually find bugfixing a very nice way to get my hands on a project.

3. Is there an "architecture" discussion group where one can discuss a new feature and be directed on the best way to do it. I probably don't mean technical advices here, but more as a way to ensure that whatever I do is "in the spirit" and my commits would be accepted?

I would be a pain to develop a new feature just to see it refused because of some reason (good or bad). Or a bugfix being rejected because it breaks something else, etc...

In other words, if I want to do a major feature, how do I know JForum devel community is going to agree with it and the way I did it?

Thanks... Hopefully I will soon be able to contribute a few bugfixes.

Hope I got it all right the first time... The preview button doesn't seem to work...
[originally posted on jforum.net by pieroxy]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey pieroxy, thanks for the interest on helping us

First, the CVS version that's running on JForum.net is kinda old - I just have to get some time and update the code here.

As generally there aren't so many people working on the core code, there will be not many problems regard two people working on the same issue.
Of course it is good to post any doubts here in the forum.

Also, any documentation should be written to our wiki - http://www.jforum.net/confluence . It is usually good to write documentation about a new feature - or anything else - while you're working on the task.

It would be nice to start some threads discussing the architecture, and then putting all conclusions / answers to Confluence.

The bug tracker is at http://www.jforum.net/jira and, if you register for an account, I can put in in the "jforum-team" user, so you can get taks designed to you.

Rafael

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Rafael,

I registered to jira, so please add me to the jforum-team so that I can assign some bugs to myself and start fixing them.

I also registered to jforum.dev.java.net and asked for the Developer role.

I will probably not start before January though ;) , so you can take your time.

What are the rules to commit something? It should compile, for sure, but is there anything else? Is there anyone assigned to testing or reviewing anything I might do?

Thanks again for all the good work.
[originally posted on jforum.net by pieroxy]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, I'll give grant you the roles.

Rafael