• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Installed Jforum locally, now I want to take it live

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Essentially, I am a newb.

I installed jforum locally to my localhost and I have gotten used to the interface. I am using 1and1 for webhosting, and I have created a MySQL 5.0 database. Now, i have usernames and servernames, FTP progs, TomCat, and the whole shabang, but now I want to load it to my website. I have no clue of how I would do that.

In my head, it would sound like i need to install it remotely to the MySQL database, but when i try to install again, it sees my local install and does nothing. Any help or guidance would be super appreciated.

Thanks
[originally posted on jforum.net by SpotYacht]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

SpotYacht wrote:Essentially, I am a newb.

I installed jforum locally to my localhost and I have gotten used to the interface. I am using 1and1 for webhosting, and I have created a MySQL 5.0 database. Now, i have usernames and servernames, FTP progs, TomCat, and the whole shabang, but now I want to load it to my website. I have no clue of how I would do that.

In my head, it would sound like i need to install it remotely to the MySQL database, but when i try to install again, it sees my local install and does nothing. Any help or guidance would be super appreciated.

Thanks

You could repeat the steps you used to install it locally but use the hosting server instead.

Or, if you want to keep what you have done so far you can FTP the tomcat/webapps/jforum_dir_name to the server (into the correct place), export your local DB data and create a new DB on your hosting server and import the data. Then update the JForum config files to reflect the new servername, web site, DB connection information, etc.
[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, that makes sense. I have tried installing TomCat through FTP to the server, by first moving the .exe file to the server and then attempting to open it. It will not go. I read online that you can't install on a hosted server through FTP. My steps sound like they need to first install TomCat on the server, then install jForum on the server via TomCat directories, and then I should be set for jFOrum, thats what I did locally at least. Are there any URL's that will give a simple walkthrough of this? You ask the webhost, and they act like you are speaking a foreign language.

How does everyone know how to do this? The instructions are pretty bare from a remote install aspect. Also, keep in mind, I am not a foreigner of programming, but this stuff is foreign to me. Maybe JForum is just a little to advanced for what I will be able to handle right now.

Thanks Gatorbait for your response BTW.

[originally posted on jforum.net by SpotYacht]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of, you can't install tomcat via ftp. Ftp is only for file transfer (which is why it's called file transfer protocol). If you'd wish to install something on a remote machine you'd require remote desktop / ssh / ... to connect to the target machine and start the installation process.

So what you need is either your own webspace with SSH access or a webpace provider that provides tomcat to the user. Or a hosted server that provides you with ssh / remote desktop to install the tomcat (and maybe java) yourself.

About most webspace providers already have a mysql database installed, so I doubt you are to install this manually. Dumping the sql script locally and reimporting it to the new webspace (i.e. via phpmyadmin) should be fairly easy.

The interfaces that are avaiable to the user for this always depend on the provider however.

[originally posted on jforum.net by Sid]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to provide a few more details on your hosting arrangement.

Unless you do have your own hosting instance (i.e. a real dedicated server or virtual server), you will most likely NOT be able to install Tomcat. This is where the details of what you have and what you actually can do come into play.

If you don't have your own hosted server or virtual server, you will need to see if your hosting company even supports Java apps.

The "regular" landl hosting accounts do NOT support full java applications (I know this because I considered using them for hosting and asked about it).
[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic