• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jobs in Canada

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What is most wanted and most paid java field job in Canada, especially in BC.?
The options may be :
1) Android app developer
2) Web app developer
3) Enterprise app developer
4) something else

P.S : Sorry for my english

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can understand why you'd like to work in beautiful British Columbia - so would I!

Check out this thread for a discussion on finding jobs in Canada. You should note that the Canadian government changed its immigration rules at the end of 2008 to remove software developers from the list of occupations qualifying for a federal Permanent Resident permit. There are also provincial permits, but the same rules usually apply to these as well. This means you would probably need to find a job with an employer who is prepared to sponsor you for a work permit.

To get an idea of salaries and the demand for skills, check out the job sites like Monster. When I was looking a while ago, there seemed to be a fair number of Java enterprise application developer jobs around Vancouver, which is the largest city in BC. There are also some jobs in and around Victoria (the provincial capital) on Vancouver Island, but Victoria is a lot smaller than Vancouver, so there are fewer opportunities.

There are excellent universities in BC and across Canada, and plenty of Canadians who want to work in BC, so you may find there is a lot of competition for jobs. If you're prepared to look elsewhere, there seem to be a lot more jobs in the Toronto area, for example. And if you speak French then Montreal/Quebec might be a good option, as the Quebec provincial government often has a more generous policy on work permits than the other provinces.

Good luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

chris webster wrote:Americans are also able to work in Canada

That's news to me. They can get a work permit, but so can someone from any other country.

Cheers!

Luke

chris webster
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for debugging my factoid there, Luke!

As a European I guess I wasn't pay close enough attention when I read that the NAFTA rules make it easier for US citizens to work in Canada - but they still need a permit, as you say.

Chris

Popescu Ion
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your answers!

chris webster
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
CGI seems to be recruiting quite heavily right now for offices across Canada and in the USA: http://www.cgi.com/en/careers/working-at-cgi
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic