• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JEE vs. Spring

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Fedora
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

I've read several articles on this subject and I don't want to arouse controversies, but if I had to design a complex web application with a fair amount of transactions per day (let's say 5.000) should I choose JEE or Spring or both? My friends in the UK say that nobody uses JEE any more and that I should move on to Spring. In my personal experience I found that the use of both Spring and application servers is messy because you spend too much time to set up a development environment properly. Do you really think that JEE is dead?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's an odd question. JEE provides the support for web applications written in Java. To avoid using JEE entirely and still be using Java, you'd have to design, build, and debug up a custom webapp server from scratch. In the business world, that would rarely be justifiable, since you and you alone would have to shoulder the costs of developing and supporting the webapp server in addition to developing and supporting the webapp itself. And, for that matter, developing and supporting a decent security manager, since almost nobody manages to create security systems that are actually secure on their own.

You could attempt to leverage the above by making your DIY server out of Spring components, but it would still be a lot of work.

On the other hand, I've found that Spring can be an immense help in developing and testing JEE webapps. I use it to manage the persistency layer of my apps as well as supply common services like email, where the rewiring capabilities of Spring mean that I can test using a dummy mailer, then switch on the live one for production with no changes to program source code.

Whether you use Spring's web subsystems or JEE facilities such as JSF would depend entirely on your local needs and resources. There's no single correct answer.

Alessandro Gentile
Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Fedora
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank for your reply, Tim.

Amateurs built google. Professionals built the titanic. We can't find the guy that built this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic