• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regarding the format and knowledge required for the book

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Tomek,
I am interested in learning Mockito and so would like to ask you whether your book requires any pre- requisite knowledge on that subject or in fact any kind of basics whatsoever. Also, like Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, is your book written in a fun and unorthodox language or is it entirely technical, sticking to the concepts with a good number of examples/ demo to explain the concepts clearly.

author
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rahul,

Rahul Dayal Sharma wrote:I am interested in learning Mockito and so would like to ask you whether your book requires any pre- requisite knowledge on that subject or in fact any kind of basics whatsoever. Also, like Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, is your book written in a fun and unorthodox language or is it entirely technical, sticking to the concepts with a good number of examples/ demo to explain the concepts clearly.

In answer I will quote the book:

What I Expect From You:
In fact there is very little I expect from you, except that you are willing to learn, and ready not just to rethink your current ways of writing code but also to rethink (and maybe even reject!) things you learn from this book. Stay sharp! Question what you know and what you learn! Authors of books are sometimes wrong too!

Apart from having this attitude, you need to know at least the basics of Java (equivalent, let’s say, to a Junior Java Developer).

And btw. you can have no knowledge of unit tests at all.

As for your second question... well, this is not a comic book, definitely. It does contain a lot of code examples. Maybe you could take a look at the sample chapter (which is available on book website) and judge for yourself if the style suits you?

Rahul Dayal Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tomek,
Well Sir, I have working knowledge of J2SE 1.6 and am currently struggling with J2EE , so I hope it should suffice.... I read the sample chapter and it's definitely not a a comic book , but yes a good book with good real time examples and quotes ( love the Demeter and Wisdom of the internet ). Also, would it be improper for me to create a logic comprised mostly of if- else and for loops or is there a better option than that. I separate the classes into packages and keep it work specific package comprising of tight cohesion. Also, nice book ( from what I can determine ) , I would like to have it
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic