• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Practical usage of Hadoop Map Reduce,Pig Hive HBase in application.

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi am learning Hadoop.I read Hadoop Tutorial ,Map Reduce concepts,Hive Pig did small programs of each....Now I want to know how these hadoop technologies are used in real applications...I am confused.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Monica. Shiralkar wrote:Hi am learning Hadoop.I read Hadoop Tutorial ,Map Reduce concepts,Hive Pig did small programs of each....Now I want to know how these hadoop technologies are used in real applications...I am confused.

We will use Google as an example. Google uses Map Reduce when you do a search.

Think about how much data Google has of websites and indexes. When you search, you get results real quick. Because they break it apart to many small pieces running the same code over a smaller subset of data in their entire farm.

So Imagine 1000s of servers all with data on it. How would you query for the search string Java. The data could be a little on each of those 1000s of machines. So instead of running the query against each server and copy all the data over. something like Hadoop copies the code to all the machines have them run on each machine on subsets of data with multi cores, multi cpus and multi threads. Then gather data, reduce it to a smallest chunk, then pass the chunk to a combiner that then comes back to the user with results.

You couldn't do that with a simple database on a simple single machine. It is all about huge amounts of data.

Mark

Monica Shiralkar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Mark.

Greenhorn
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Check this link explains how big companies uses big data applications like Hadoop to get competitive edge in the market by effectively using their data.
I am sure you will find it very useful when you research about the practical applications of Hadoop.

https://www.dezyre.com/article/5-big-data-use-cases-how-companies-use-big-data/155

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic