• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

DNS Virus is coming... err... happening?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A lot of hype are brought about by the DNS Virus...

I have checked mine..how about yours? It's hours from now..

As a workaround... I have save my internet into my backup hard disk drive..just in case it really goes down...brilliant of me? huh??!!!

But seriously, I sometimes feel that Viruses are made by Anti-Virus company so as they have a job to do...

Well better be safe than sorry....

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_changer_malware), this was caused by rogue dns servers, which ought to be closed anyway.
However, the media always likes to create mountain out of molehill, which is what has happened in this case too. Simply resetting the hosts file and changing dns servers would 'rectify' these unconnected computers, so where do the antiviruses come into picture ?
It clearly looks a hype created by anti-virus companies...

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thousands of PCs to lose Internet access today

Blown out of proportion.

The malware was pretty smart in redirecting users through a different server. Not only did they try to benefit from monitoring HTTP traffic routed through proxies, they served ads through these proxies to cash in on the botnet even if no passwords or sensitive information was stolen. Although wrong, you cannot but help appreciate the idea behind the attack.

I initially thought that major ISPs were contacted to remove folks and their accounts from their servers and that just did not make sense. This is media fluff and that makes much more sense.

I sometimes feel that Viruses are made by Anti-Virus company so as they have a job to do

Evidence ? This may well be true for some companies but I am not sure how it applies to the DNS redirection virus.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic