• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

can we display images in sequence which will gives perception of motion in frame's contentPane ?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
can we display images in frame which can give perception of motion very similar to videos ....i short can we display sequence of images so that it is played like a video ?
i have tried but ..the images where over lapping other and GUI gets hanged does any one has done that before ?

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course you can do that. There are many ways to do that. One way is to use a javax.swing.Timer to update the image.
Don’t update the image more than 50 times a second; you can’t see 50 changes a second, and you need at least 10ms for the repainting.
Don’t update the image less than 25 times a second, or it will appear jerky.
Make sure to use the super. call as the first line in the paintComponent method.

naved momin
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Of course you can do that. There are many ways to do that. One way is to use a javax.swing.Timer to update the image.
Don’t update the image more than 50 times a second; you can’t see 50 changes a second, and you need at least 10ms for the repainting.
Don’t update the image less than 25 times a second, or it will appear jerky.
Make sure to use the super. call as the first line in the paintComponent method.

thanks i have implemented the solutions also but , now the problem is CPU consumption which is 100% for 22.22 fps and 98-96% for 10 fps ....my pc is single core 2.8 GHZ with 2GB of Ram
and my solution or software is for non tech people whose configuration is quite similar to mine..
Note: Currently mine solution is single threaded ...what efforts i can make so that it takes near about 40-50 % of cpu or even less ?

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don’t know about your performance and CPU load problem, but graphics can be very heavy on system resources. What do you get from system monitor (*nix) or task manager (Windows®); those tools will show you which process uses how much chip? Have you tried any profiling tools as discussed in this thread?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic