• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Blank screen while installing Ubuntu 12.04

Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello guys, i have a problem installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, initially i tried to install ubuntu from windows using wubi and when i restarted the system and selected ubuntu i just saw a blank screen, so i installed iso file and prepared a USB for installation, now when i tried to boot from the USB to install Ubuntu i get a dark screen where i could hardly see the installation window, i tried googling for answers and many suggested to press f6 and change the option to 'nomodeset' but when i tried the same it would do nothing but give a long old beep, then i tried installing centos 6 and the same problem persists, i guess there is some compatibility problems with the newer versions of Linux, please help i am a bit exasperated, any help will be appreciated, Thanks !!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Spring Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know if you have the same problem, but I've had a similar problem a few years ago with an old ubuntu version.

It was my graphics card drivers that were not updated.

I download the updated drivers on the graphics card website and install it directly in command line.

vamsi acharya
Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:I don't know if you have the same problem, but I've had a similar problem a few years ago with an old ubuntu version.

It was my graphics card drivers that were not updated.

I download the updated drivers on the graphics card website and install it directly in command line.

what does drivers have to do with the installation ??, i can barely see the installation screen, this is a nightmare for me !!

Guillaume Jourdan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you install ubuntu with a recent PC, sometimes drivers are not compatible.

In my case, I bought a GeForce 6150 and I would install the last Ubuntu version (at the time : 10.04 LTS) on my PC.

When I started my PC, I had a white screen.

So, I have dl linux drivers on http://www.geforce.com/drivers, boot my PC into console command line instead of X and install the driver (I don't really remember the command that I used, but by google I find the command : jockey-text, ref : how-can-i-reconfigure-the-nvidia-proprietary-drivers-from-the-command-line

What graphical card do you use?

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi vamsi acharya,

Its highly unlikely, but I would suggest to confirm checksums of iso images you are getting with original checksums(available on respective websites).

If those images are correct (uncorrupted), try installing them on virtual machine. If that doesn't work, then as mentioned, we need to check your graphics configuration (or hardware configuration in general).

Meanwhile, you can also try burning those images on DVD and check whether live mode works or not.

I hope this helps.

vamsi acharya
Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:When you install ubuntu with a recent PC, sometimes drivers are not compatible.

In my case, I bought a GeForce 6150 and I would install the last Ubuntu version (at the time : 10.04 LTS) on my PC.

When I started my PC, I had a white screen.

So, I have dl linux drivers on http://www.geforce.com/drivers, boot my PC into console command line instead of X and install the driver (I don't really remember the command that I used, but by google I find the command : jockey-text, ref : how-can-i-reconfigure-the-nvidia-proprietary-drivers-from-the-command-line

What graphical card do you use?

I use Graphic card integrated into the Intel Chipset, my laptop is somewhat old, My question is how to get to the console without installing linux ??

Guillaume Jourdan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you use Windows, you can install Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/

Guillaume Jourdan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Or like said Anayonkar, install a virtual machine, it dependeds your requirements...

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If the normal installer really doesn't work and it's a problem with the graphics, you can download the alternate installation CD which has a text-based installer.

vamsi acharya
Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:Or like said Anayonkar, install a virtual machine, it dependeds your requirements...

I know i can do that but i don't think that is an alternative for full fledged installation of linux on the system and i faced the same problem while installing both Ubuntu and centOS, so i am taking it kinda seriously !!

Guillaume Jourdan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:it dependeds your requirements...

What's your requirements?

If you want just use some console command without installing linux

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:you can install Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/

vamsi acharya
Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillaume Jourdan wrote:
What's your requirements?

I want to prepare for Redhat certification in long run, so i need centOS to practice.

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some comments.

a) Did you boot your laptop with the Ubuntu Live CD before you installed it? It sounds like you didn't. Due to various weirdnesses with laptop hardware and Ubuntu incompatibilities the same, it really is worthwhile to test the Live CD first, and try several things with it.

b) Installing Ubuntu probably will not help with getting a RedHat certification, mainly because the package manager and other subtle differences make Ubuntu and RedHat administration somewhat different.

c) You probably would be better off install VirtualBox on your laptop and running a CentOS VM. But what are the specs of your laptop? Linux VMs run fine on my laptop, a 5-year old HP with an AMD dual core 1.8GHz proc and 4GB or RAM.

vamsi acharya
Ranch Hand
Android Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Peter Johnson wrote:Some comments.

a) Did you boot your laptop with the Ubuntu Live CD before you installed it? It sounds like you didn't. Due to various weirdnesses with laptop hardware and Ubuntu incompatibilities the same, it really is worthwhile to test the Live CD first, and try several things with it.

b) Installing Ubuntu probably will not help with getting a RedHat certification, mainly because the package manager and other subtle differences make Ubuntu and RedHat administration somewhat different.

c) You probably would be better off install VirtualBox on your laptop and running a CentOS VM. But what are the specs of your laptop? Linux VMs run fine on my laptop, a 5-year old HP with an AMD dual core 1.8GHz proc and 4GB or RAM.

In my previous comment i mentioned i need centOS to practice for my certification exam, we used centOS for a Linux course as an alternative to RedHat at our school, i did use Live CD but even the text mode blacks out, I know virtual machine is a good option but am afraid i don't get the feel of using Linux through VMs !!

Guillaume Jourdan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Peter Johnson wrote:Installing Ubuntu probably will not help with getting a RedHat certification

I am agree. Vamsi, if you want to pratice to the RedHat certification, you must pratice on RedHat or CentOs (binary compatible).

If you are just affraid to install VM, you can follow a tutorial like : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S28SrhrqXs

Peter Johnson
author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vamsi acharya wrote:I know virtual machine is a good option but am afraid i don't get the feel of using Linux through VMs !!

I use Linux both in VMs and on hardware, and there is no difference. In most cases, when you administer a Linux machine, you either ssh or vnc into it, and when you do that you cannot tell whether the Linux machine is running on hardware or in a VM. About the only thing you might miss by installing in a VM is that some of the GUI eye candy will not work.

Rancher
VI Editor C++ Debian
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try doing a Ctrl Alt F1 and Ctrl Alt F6 (I think) to see if that resolves your blank screen issue.

[Am not sure what you mean by "i get a dark screen where i could hardly see the installation window" (my emphasis) -- is the WM visible but only barely so?]

Of course, I found a very beautiful couch. Definitely. And this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic