• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Easy way to learn computer languages

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
First of all let me explain myself so that you can understand my situation well. My name is Eva and i’m 19. I’m dong job in local company as data entry opreator. It is my passion to become a good and professional software Developer. I don’t have any degree related to computer sceince or any other field. Now my plan is to take admission in BS in CS or IT online virtual university but i know that with just degree it is much hard to get job, experience is much necessary. So i have decided to do job and study at same time. So now i want to join any company as software developer in few months. I have find so many jobs on newspapers and also on internet who doesn’t require any special degree their requirements are similar to these.
• Must have a solid background in Microsoft Technologies (.NET Framework 2.0, 3.5 etc, ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, ADO.NET, SQL Server) and databases
• * Microsoft Visualbasic C# Microsoft .NET Microsoft SQL Server ASP, CGI
ETC........
So now i’m confused that how to get command and full knowledge about these languages i have searched on internet like youtube but i’m confuse that wher e to start learn which language i should leart first and then second language i mean step by step. So here are some points on that i want to get advice.
1. How and where i should start learning these languages. Which language i should learn first and then next?? I don’t wanna pay any dollar to buy any language course so is it possible to learn through internet i mean youtube videos.
2. Which is most demanded and valuable language that will help me in my career?? ( well i’m hearing about .NET)
3. Is it necassary to know about background of language i mean all terminologies of relative language for making a complete application or it doesn’t matter we can make complete software without getting all infomation about language.
I shall be very thankful to you if you can give some advice.Thank you so much in advance.
Regards,
Eva

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

eva alice wrote: . . . I don’t wanna pay any dollar to buy any language course so is it possible to learn through internet i mean youtube videos. . . .

Welcome to the Ranch

I think you are asking the impossible. You will not learn anything without a lot of effort; the videos on the net are of variable quality, some very good and some not at all good, but you do not have the experience to distinguish good from bad. If you really want an easy way to learn programming, please read this, and give up now.

Learning programming will require require much effort over several years. I think you will need a course taught by competent programmers and teachers. You should also forget about what is fashionable now, because it will all change by the time you are competent.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is possible to learn to program without taking a course, but you need very good aptitude for it. Blowing my horn here a bit:- I taught myself Basic when I was in 8th grade. I taught myself C++ in the final year of my bachelor's degree. I taught myself Java around 2000. The more languages you learn the easier it gets. However, at the same time, when I was in 8th grade, I would try to teach other people Basic, and they won't get it. It wasn't the problem with the language itself, but the problem was that they didn't have the kind of meta-thinking that makes a programmer a programmer. I used to think that I was born with that skill, but that's not completely true. Being able to think like a programmer is a teachable skill, however, it requires a lot more hard work, dedication and, yes, money to learn it.

It's just like everything else. Olympic class athletes are generally born with an aptitude for their sport. It requires a lot of dedication and training to reach Olympic level. However, for someone who is not born with it, they can get there if they work much harder, and is most likely to drop out after reaching a certain amount of success. Programming is no differrent. You are a mental gymnast. Either your brain is wired to program or it's not. Even if it's not, your brain is plastic; with practice, and hard work, you can mold it

So, my suggestion for any person who wants to be a programmer is:- Just try it. You might be lucky enough to be born with that skill. You just might be the next Steve Wozniak or Bill Gates, or you may not be. If not, atleast you know what you need to do. Don't get dejected by failure. You will fall before you walk. One good thing about the industry right now is even if you are modestly successful as a programmer, you are still pretty successful in the traditional sense. No one has heard of a starving programmer. In the US, an "average" programmer starts earning 6 figures in a decade. If you can keep at it, barring calamaties, you and your children aren't going to go hungry

To answer your specific questions

1. How and where i should start learning these languages. Which language i should learn first and then next?? I don’t wanna pay any dollar to buy any language course so is it possible to learn through internet i mean youtube videos.

Initial language selection depends a lot on aptitude and interest. It's hard to give a reccomendation without knowing you. Visual Basic is a good place to start. Java can be too, if you have the aptitude. Or you might even try Python/Ruby on rails. I would suggest you give a few languages and try and see what clicks.

2. Which is most demanded and valuable language that will help me in my career?? ( well i’m hearing about .NET)

Languages come and go. RIght now, I beleive it's Java and .NET. However, don;t want to start a language war You are young. You are better off focusing on learning to program. Once you learn one language, other languages come easier.

3. Is it necassary to know about background of language i mean all terminologies of relative language for making a complete application or it doesn’t matter we can make complete software without getting all infomation about language.

Language is a tool. You need to learn the tool to use it. For languages like Java, there are lot of things you need to learn. Don;t try to learn everything in one go. Take baby steps.

Having said that, learning a tool is one thing, learning how the tool works is another. This is where education is very important. You can pretty much learn to program by just learning the language. However, good education gives you the fundamentals to use the tool effectively.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a new free online course "Learn to program: The Fundamentals" starting at Coursera on 24th September, which is provided by the University of Toronto and lasts for 7 weeks. So you could sign up now and start in 2 weeks' time.

This course will introduce you to the Python programming language, which is quite widely used in some sectors of the IT industry (Java is more popular currently but I have seen increasing numbers of jobs for Python programmers recently), and MIT teaches Python to their students and Google teaches Python to new staff.

One of the advantages of Python is that it is an excellent language for learning how to write object-oriented (OO) programs easily - much easier to get started with than Java - but it is also a powerful and flexible language for serious applications i.e. it is not just a "toy" language for students. There are other free courses on programming in Python and other languages at Coursera, and lots of free books on Python online (http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/ , http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english3e/ ) to take you further after this course. Once you have a solid understanding of the basic principles of OO programming in a straightforward language like Python, it will be much easier to learn other OO languages, like Java or C# for example.

I think it is better to start learning to program via a structured course of some kind, rather than just buying a book and trying to figure it out on your own. It takes a lot of hard work to learn to program properly, and it will be much easier if you have some guidance in learning how to avoid common mistakes in the early days. After you have learned the basics properly via a course, you will find it easier to learn more on your own.

But if you really want to get a job as a "good and professional software developer" in the IT industry, you are almost certainly going to need a relevant degree from a reputable university.

Good luck!

We must storm this mad man's lab and destroy his villanous bomb! Are you with me tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic